Damascus Success!

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
AZMike

Damascus Success!

Post by AZMike »

I believe that I have my damascus refinishing program in order. I found a couple of good+ 1900 (12 & 16) to "practice" on. I got several complements from my very experienced gunsmith as he reassembled the guns!
I think that my electrolysis cleaning really helps prepare the metal for rusting, it sure cleans all the action parts. There is a lot of information on the web, sorting through is the key.
In the end I have bright contrast that looks very natural.
dieNusse1

Re: Damascus Success!

Post by dieNusse1 »

Can you post pictures?

I've been refinishing my barrels for several years and find it to be a long process. I know there are many methods that were used over time and I have to believe that Remington and other makers would use the procedure involving the least time (money) and effort (money) to obtain the desired results.

Would you be willing to share your method?
AZMike

Post by AZMike »

I am not too good on photos, twist steel hammer lifter project, real early LC Smith/Baker (1872)
other photo 16 gauge, 12 gauge 1900's
I'll explain what I did.
IMG_1257.jpg
IMG_1257.jpg (69.79 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
IMG_1240.jpg
IMG_1240.jpg (72.9 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Nice work!

Looking forward to your method as mine is very long and involved.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to your revised procedure.

Jerry
AZMike

Post by AZMike »

Electrolysis Cleaning:
The first thing I like to do is a super cleaning of all metal. I have restored twist and damascus to a nice/natural patina by just cleaning off the century of greasy grime. The process releases rust and any foreign matter. I started electrolysis cleaning on collectable cast iron cookware. This is a twist 1878 that was very black before the process.
IMG_1300.jpg
IMG_1300.jpg (78.45 KiB) Viewed 2412 times

Your need a plastic tote big enough for your project, they must be covered by the water. You need 1-2 table spoons of Arm and Hammer washing soda per gallon of water. Connect a MANUAL 12 volt battery charger--positive to your anode (scrap iron) and the negative to your barrel or metal can with parts.
IMG_1291.jpg
IMG_1291.jpg (69.83 KiB) Viewed 2412 times
I like to start with fairly warm water as it get working quicker, after a few hours I add a pot of hot water to the tote.
Over night is usually enough time. I take the barrel out of the tote and lightly card off with warm soapy water and medium steel wool or green scratchy pad. Instant results, you can see patterns that had been lost under the grime. I wire brush the heck out of the bores at this time--you will be surprised at how the rust disappears. You will see bubbles as the charging works, keep your paws out of the water! The rust will be floating after a bit.
IMG_1223.jpg
IMG_1223.jpg (93.19 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
This is the cleaning I do before starting the rust process for damascus restoration.