1100 G3 with wrong barrel.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
dhenzler

1100 G3 with wrong barrel.

Post by dhenzler »

I just bought a 1100G3 and when inspected it had a brand new 28" 2.75 or 3" Rem Choke barrel with a pair of .106" gas ports.

Wonder if Remington used mis matched barrels toward the end of production. Seems if they did they'd have to advise the customer.

The new Competition model 1100 has a 30" Pro-Bore barrel. Wonder how much they want for these? Will call them on Monday and find out. The G3 rib has a strong pattern unlike the other barrel... Do any of you have a Competition model ? The overbored & lengthened forcing cone are great. Easier to clean and absolutely crushes targets.

My frustration is only surpassed by my desire to remedy this mess. Contact me directly shoot@ccskeet.com
Attachments
G3_barrel.png
G3_barrel.png (595.96 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
Virginian

Re: 1100 G3 with wrong barrel.

Post by Virginian »

I have seen 2 other G3s with the same barrel and believe it is the factory set up. They were (unfortunately) using that rib top surface at that time. The G3 was an 11-87 under the skin; always was. The gas collar on the barrel is different on an 11-87 and an 1100, and except for a very few early 11-87 fore ends, they fore ends will not interchange without doing something.
What could have happened... did.
dhenzler

Post by dhenzler »

Spend most of Monday looking for G3 barrels everywhere I could think of. Called Remington to see if the shotgun even shipped with the overbored barrel. It did... someone at Gander Mtn switched the barrel and took home an 1187 with a much nicer barrel for cheap. The original purchaser was never aware... the gun was unfired when I laid hands on it. Remington said the only barrels that would work were the turkey barrel, and the rifled slug barrel. But the 1187 28" barrel worked great and hulls were 8-10' away.

Seems like if the last of them were made in 2009 that they would have to provide parts until 2019. However they decided to not do this. No plans to get more barrels made. Although the tooling can't be all that different. It's just an 1187 overbored and lengthened forcing cone with a different rib.

I'll likely get Mike Orlen to lengthen and polish the forcing cone. Damn thing shoots well. I shot a round yesterday with it after doing some range maintenance, and it was pretty good. 22 nice hits.

I thought an 1100 Competition barrel would work, but the extractor is narrower on the 1100 bolt.. I suppose a good barrel man could widen the notch. May wind up doing that down the road if nothing else shows up.

The saga continues
dhenzler

Post by dhenzler »

Found another gun to take parts from. This one needs a new forend. Must be the G3 forend due to matching checkering and looks. In the meantime I'll fix the crack.

What is a good price for a G3 12ga with a 28" Rem Choke Barrel that has had the forcing cone reamed and polished. Comes with a Skeet choke and shoots like there is not tomorrow...

Barrel is like new... hasn't been fired more than a few hundred rounds. Butt stock and action are minty. Perhaps one minor scuff.

Value ?

Please find me the forend so I can keep this one...

Dave