1975 vintage upgrade

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
dhenzler

1975 vintage upgrade

Post by dhenzler »

I bought a fairly nice '75 vintage 1100 and to make it fit and feel the same as the rest of my 1100 Sporting guns I obtained new forend and butt stock for it. The remchoke barrel on the old 1100 is much thicker, so had to mill the front of the forend to fit. I've noticed that the threaded cap doesn't click click into place as others... and the rear of the forend moves slightly. I think the gas lug on the old barrel is longer and may interfere with the forend seating completely...

What to do? Modify the forend, or the barrel?

Any suggestions or comments are welcome

Send them to me directly to shoot@ccskeet.com as I seldom check my messages here..
dhenzler

Re: 1975 vintage upgrade

Post by dhenzler »

Here are the results of the stock work. Problems were that the barrel was larger diameter, so milling out the barrel channel was required. The stock fits perfectly otherwise. The magazine tube cap is one of the new styles that lock on either the plastic mag tube spring retainer, or the embedded ball detent. Unfortunately neither of these is there. No detent on barrel, so new style spring retainer is not possible without modifying the mag tube. A wave washer is made to replace the detent. This is the way to go $5.00 vs other expensive options. Look & feel of the gun is as others in my collection now... So I am quite pleased with the way it looks and shoots.
[
Last edited by dhenzler on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

I prefer an O ring to a wave washer, but whatever makes you happy. It the rear of the fore end still seems loose you may want to spread the wings on the fore end support a bit.
What could have happened... did.
dhenzler

Post by dhenzler »

I decided to do it right, and had Stumpies Guns in Swansboro NC dimple the magazine tube. Now that they have the tooling made up, subsequent jobs will be a snap. Works just like a new model. I'll never put an extended tube on it...

The job Stumpies did was just like factory... I was very pleased!
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

That is the first recorded incident I have ever heard of, of someone having a tube dimpled. Also I hope you already have a new style magazine cap with the teeth on the interior to engage the plastic piece that holds the magazine spring and engages the dimples.
What could have happened... did.
dhenzler

Post by dhenzler »

Finished with the upgrades... my out of pocket is about $575 and it's just like a "Sporting 12" except for the receiver markings. I don't mind.. It shoots nicely with it's new 28" tube. No more ejection problems... which was a real brain teaser. After drilling out the gas ports I thought the problem would be over with the old 26" tube. But the ports persisted in becoming clogged. I tried Winchester White Box, Winchester AA, Remington Gun Club, and Federal target shells. All had ejection issues in time.

The last problem is the lock notch in the barrel. It gets some edge wear. None of my other 1100 series guns show. Can't quite figure what this is caused from. Remington says it will probably get to a point... and stop doing that. I just think it's odd.

Bought a nice Beretta Silver Pigeon and don't expect any such problems with it... ha ha... Simple is better in some cases.

I miss my old friend Dean Wagner... he was a brother in law and fellow shooter who like many of my friends has passed. He would have loved this shotgun.
straight_grip

Post by straight_grip »

where did you find tgat beautiful wood?
Im looking for some
dhenzler

Re: 1975 vintage upgrade - SOLD

Post by dhenzler »

I'm selling this beauty... have been seduced by the 1100G3. Bought one, then another. Love the way they move. Looking for a barrel... can't find one. But the "vintage upgrade" is on Gun Broker for sale.... will finance my next adventure
Attachments
Remington's.jpg
Remington's.jpg (215.35 KiB) Viewed 7750 times
1100_12ga.jpg
1100_12ga.jpg (306.72 KiB) Viewed 7750 times
Last edited by dhenzler on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhenzler

Post by dhenzler »

"Post by straight_grip » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:51 am
where did you find tgat beautiful wood?
I'm looking for some"

I got this stock from Remington Parts... it's an 1100 12ga Sporting stock. And it IS a beauty

Dave
dhenzler

Re: 1975 vintage upgrade - upgraded again

Post by dhenzler »

I recently got a 2lb sear spring from a friend, and put it into one of my many 1100's. Wow! what a great difference... yes it's light, but my scores at Skeet went up dramatically... Was shooting a 18-21 now shooting 21-23. I wanted to get all of my personal 1100 family guns upgraded to this. Searched all over for more, but none could be had for a decent price.

So I had some manufactured. If you're interested in this simple modification to your trigger group... go to my website and check it out... http://springs.ccskeet.com You will be glad you did... I beat all the prices on the Internet and have a spring that really works great.