??s on Mod 10

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
wsmrto

??s on Mod 10

Post by wsmrto »

Trying to find info on this Mod 10. I have taken down the butt stock and compared the SN: U86145, the Op rod has Remington Trap Grade, and the checkering on the wood is in VG condition. The top of the inside upper left of the tang has 3S and either a rotated E or W. This old shotgun just needs some clean-up and TLC, Murphy's and some elbow grease to it's wood to really make it stand out. I really need to know if there is a way I can establish it is a Trap Grade and what level and maybe a value. It is a good friends who inherited it and I want to get all the info To put with it when I return it all clean and with the stock re-oiled.
Researcher

Re: ??s on Mod 10

Post by Researcher »

By the serial number the gun in question would be from mid-1912 and should be marked on the barrel as being made by Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. Catalogues of that era show the No. 10C "Trap" Grade like this --

and that is how the "Trap" Grade had looked since the introduction of the Remington Repeating Shotgun in 1908. By the 1915-16 Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. catalogue they added a cheaper Trap Gun stocked in American Walnut called the No. 10S "Trap Special" Grade --

Just to round out the Model 10 trap gun offerings, after The Great War, and the company reorganized as Remington Arms Co., Inc., the No. 10T "Target" Grade was introduced with a ventilated rib --

The Model 10C "Trap" Grade and the Model 10S "Trap Special" Grades continued to be offered at least into 1923.