1950 Wingmaster Stock Question

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
kondorthe2nd

1950 Wingmaster Stock Question

Post by kondorthe2nd »

I have a, I think a 1950 or 1953 12 ga. Wingmaster with the corn cob type fore-end and no recoil pad. I was wondering if the receiver dimensions are the same as on current guns because I'd like to replace the stocks with a set from the 70's or 80's (with the fleur de lis) or else a current production synthetic stock so it not only matches my 20 gauge lw Wingmaster but also is a little shorter reach to the fore-end and has a recoil pad.
Virginian

Re: 1950 Wingmaster Stock Question

Post by Virginian »

Receivers are the same size. If you find a Magnum stock with a recoil pad, it will fit also. Remember there is a stock bearing plate used with wood stocks, not used with synthetics.
What could have happened... did.
kondorthe2nd

Post by kondorthe2nd »

Thanks. Just ordered a set of synthetic stocks. 1/4 the price of used fleur de lis stocks and returnable if I don't like them.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

And your doing what with the old stock? :D
kondorthe2nd

Post by kondorthe2nd »

Actually I'm planning to keep it in the event I ever decide to part with the gun. It's kind of a package deal. I bought thegun from an elderly lady who worked with my wife. It' s a '50 or '53 and came with the Remington leather case, wood cleaning rod, brushes, steel plug and migratory plug. I must say that I like the feel of the synthetic stcks because of the narrower grip in the butt and the beefier forend, the big plus being a fairly soft recoil pad. I like the look of the walnut but the feel of the synthetic.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

kondorthe2nd wrote:Actually I'm planning to keep it in the event I ever decide to part with the gun. It's kind of a package deal. I bought thegun from an elderly lady who worked with my wife. It' s a '50 or '53 and came with the Remington leather case, wood cleaning rod, brushes, steel plug and migratory plug. I must say that I like the feel of the synthetic stcks because of the narrower grip in the butt and the beefier forend, the big plus being a fairly soft recoil pad. I like the look of the walnut but the feel of the synthetic.
Love the old 870's and the wood, however it sounds like you got a dynamite package deal!
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Old post but I'm new here, and figured to resurrect to clarify something. The buttstock bearing plate was a design change at some point, I do not know when. I have serial 24,XXX and it does not have a bearing plate. When I tried to install one I found that there is not room for a bearing plate unless the wood is shaved down. I have not bothered to refit it for a plate because its a 2-3/4 gun, and I dont do silly things like mortar a round with buttstock on the ground. I dont think it'll crack on me now, if it hasnt by now.