Remington Model 10 Police Riot Shotgun

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
gmkmd

Remington Model 10 Police Riot Shotgun

Post by gmkmd »

I'm usually more of a Rolling Block man, but I just got an interesting Remington Model 10 riot shotgun (12 gauge), serial # 276273. It is marked "PASCO PD NO. 2", hand-stamped along the right side of the receiver. The barrel is marked "CYL" on the left near the breach (I assume for "cylinder bore"), but it looks like this was overmarked on a different choke marking. I was wondering if anyone knew of a source of info on Model 10's, to answer a few questions, such as:

Year of manufacture?
Any info on a specific contract for the Pasco Police Dept. (I assume Pasco, WA)?
Did it leave the factory as a riot shotgun, or was it later cut down by the police department?

Any help much appreciated!
Researcher

Re: Remington Model 10 Police Riot Shotgun

Post by Researcher »

According to the old "between the Wars" factory ledger 276273 would be a gun made in early June 1928. In that that was in the last seven months of Model 10 production, perhaps they whacked a regular barrel to 20-inch for a Model 10R "Riot" Grade and over-stamped the choke marking with CYL. Is there a two-letter date code on the left side of the barrel, probably just foreward of the receiver?
gmkmd

Post by gmkmd »

Yes, on the left side of the barrel is "RX" just in front of the receiver. the barrel length is 20 inches. Also, on the right side of the barrel, just in front of the receiver is "R.E.P." in and oval, and next to that is an anchor.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

R = November and X = 1929, that is very late for a Model 10 barrel, maybe it is actually a Model 29 barrel?!? The R.E.P. in the oval is Remington Explosive Proof. The anchotr is just a Remington inspectors mark and has nothing to do with the U.S. Navy.
gmkmd

Post by gmkmd »

Many thanks for the into. How would I tell if it's a model 29 barrel? Also, any way I can get more info on the Pasco PD marking?