Barrel for 1979(?) 870 Wingmaster

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
tdub

Barrel for 1979(?) 870 Wingmaster

Post by tdub »

I have an 870n Wingmaster that has PV33 on the left side of the barrel, from earlier Q&A's I think it is a 1979. My father handed it down to me, but the problem is that it only has a full-choke barrel. I would like an IC barrel for the gun also. When I called the Remington office, they said they would have to weld a special bead on the barrel so it would stay locked in place. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get an IC barrel from that year so I can just change it out when upland bird hunting?

Thanks!!
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

I don't understand what you are talking about when you say they have to weld a bead etc. Go to GUN LIST and you will find several dealers that can suppl a barrel. You might even consider buying a screw in choke barrel from Remington Dealers, so you can change chokes when you change your shooting. Jay Huber RSA
tdub

Post by tdub »

Thanks for the quick reply. On my 870, the nut, or "magazine cap" that holds the barrel in place has small indentions in it. the barrel, on the ring has a small bb on it. According to Remington this was to lock the barrel in place and they don't make the barrels that way any longer. They told me that although the new barrels would fit fine, the nut would not stay tight. In order for them to do it properly, the bb would have to be welded on the new barrel. Hope this helps to explain the situation. thanks again for any help
Dave

Post by Dave »

Or you could do what I did with a couple of my old Rem. shotguns. That is bring it to your gunsmith and have him thread your full choke barrel for any of a number of factory or aftermarket screw in chokes. I found this to be the quickest and least expensive way to solve the "my old shotgun has a full choke " problem.

HTH
Dave