Help tracking down this shotgun

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns

Help tracking down this shotgun

Post by Guest »

My father has a Remington shotgun that he got from his father, who in turn received from his father.

Allegedly, this shotgun was used by either my great grandfather or great-great grandfather during the Molly Maguire wars in Pennsylvania during the 1860s-1870s.

It is a 12 guage single barrel that has the typical "Remington Ilion NY" info on it - but I'd like to try and track down what year/model the shotgun actually is to see if I can collaborate some of the story.

I did some searching on the Web, but I was hoping to find some sort of pictoral history of Remington shotguns to see if I can identify this shotgun.

Can anybody point me in the right direction on where to look or is there other info/pictures I can provide that may shed some light?

Thank you in advance.
DavidFagan

Re: Help tracking down this shotgun

Post by DavidFagan »

Anonymous wrote:My father has a Remington shotgun that he got from his father, who in turn received from his father.

Allegedly, this shotgun was used by either my great grandfather or great-great grandfather during the Molly Maguire wars in Pennsylvania during the 1860s-1870s.

It is a 12 guage single barrel that has the typical "Remington Ilion NY" info on it - but I'd like to try and track down what year/model the shotgun actually is to see if I can collaborate some of the story.

I did some searching on the Web, but I was hoping to find some sort of pictoral history of Remington shotguns to see if I can identify this shotgun.

Can anybody point me in the right direction on where to look or is there other info/pictures I can provide that may shed some light?

Thank you in advance.
If this is a 12 guage I suspect it's a model 3 or 9 production from 1893-1910, it this is a muzzleloader I would be the one wanting to see pictures. They did make a rolling block #1 in 1870's - 1890's but I've never seen that in 12 gauge either.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer

Some info

Post by Guest »

After closer review - it has 3 stamps in the side - patent dates from 1894, 1903 and 1904.

So, I'm assuming it was made 1904+ and is probably what you state - a model 3 or 9.

Thank you!
DavidFagan

Re: Some info

Post by DavidFagan »

Anonymous wrote:After closer review - it has 3 stamps in the side - patent dates from 1894, 1903 and 1904.

So, I'm assuming it was made 1904+ and is probably what you state - a model 3 or 9.

Thank you!
Sorry I dont know much about shotguns so I can't tell you more but I think then it's a model 9, it should have a screw release on the forend instead of a button.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Dave

Post by Dave »

The difference between a no. 3 and a no. 9 is:
the no. 9 has auto ejectors