Trap shooting

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
paul harm

Trap shooting

Post by paul harm »

Back in the 70s I use to shoot a lot of trap, and once I learned it, it seemed easy to shoot a 23, 24, or 25. I quit till just this year and man why it's so hard seems a mystery. Lately I've improved quite a bit, back in the 20s. The reason I started again was because I bought a Parker SBT. Now I traded it to the guy who brought it to my attention in the first place. Anyways, I have three Remington 1894 F grade trap guns. Just never shot them for trap, more for 5-stand and SCs. Now with the Parker gone I've been shooting them at trap. Well, two of them that someone put beavertail forearms on. I shoot pretty fast just pulling the trigger as I blow threw the bird. The one I opened the chokes up to LM/LM works very well at the 16 yard line. Anyways, it's been a fun journey getting back to trap with a Remington trap gun. I did shoot one 25 with the Parker, now it's time to do a couple with my Remington SxSs. I like to think maybe Herr, Heikes, or Fulford used one of them to win one of the big shoots.
Drew Hause

Re: Trap shooting

Post by Drew Hause »

E.D. Fulford used a Remington Hammerless Model of 1894 to win the 1898 GAH at Live Birds. I do not know the grade nor the current location of the gun

Rolla Heikes used a Remington Hammerless Double (grade unknown) to win the 5th National Sportsmen’s Association Championship Trophy held on the Madison Square Garden roof in March 2-15, 1899
https://digital.la84.org/digital/collec ... 7/id/44345
Eleven days were open for “qualifying matches”, and the 25 highest men shot off in final match on March 15 at 100 Blue Rocks from Magautrap.
Heikes broke 91 and took the first prize, also first medal in the Continuous, as he was tied with Elliott and they agreed to shoot it off in the championship race. During the “qualifying” matches Heikes won first prize five times and the Continuous medal twice, and in the final won first in each.
For 1100 shots in the championship he averaged .938 per cent. He was using a Remington hammerless gun, 45 grains of “Schultze” powder in U.M.C. Smokeless shells.

Sporting Life, May 6, 1899
The Remington Arms Co., 313 Broadway, New York, displayed in their front window the two prizes won by R.O. Heikes in the trap shooting tournament held in Madison Square Garden. The prize in the Continuous match was a beautiful tea set of silver, and the prize in the association championship was another tea set, but of different pattern.

He used a Remington Hammerless to win the Interstate Association’s First Annual GAH at Targets June 1900.

The 1904 U.M.C. Squad all used Remington CEO "Trap Guns", included T. A. Marshall, Captain; R. O. Heikes, C. W. Budd, J. L. Head. T. E. Hubby, W. H. Heer, J. T. Anthony, F. C. Riehl and E. D. Fulford, assisted by F. C. Butler. The first five broke the five-man squad world's record by a score 488/500 at Palestine, Texas, and Heer broke 100.

Advertisements with William Herr illustrated both a CEO and a FE (introduced in 1906) courtesy of David Noreen

Prior to the 1912 GAH, Heer retired his Remington double and began shooting a Remington pump gun.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

Drew, thanks for putting all those one after the other. I've copied some of your previous post but they're on about 4 or 5 different pages. Soon as I can get out again to Office Depot I'll buy another printer and copy this post of yours. I like showing them over at the club to let guys know that SxSs were once used for competition, and were shot very well.
Drew Hause

Post by Drew Hause »

In 1905 Herr had a straight run of 307 targets with his Remington hammerless

and in 1908 the High Professional Run of 363 straight