Civil War Remington

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
mikesibley

Civil War Remington

Post by mikesibley »

Hello all,

I'm new here and would like to ask for your assistance. I have a Remington, don't know if it is a 1858 or 1863 Army. It is engraved and it is both gold and silver plated with ivory grips. It was presented to Confederate General Henry Hopkins Sibley who fought in Texas and New Mexico during the Civil War. It is a boxed presentation set and it is engraved on the back with Henry Hopkins Sibley, New Orleans.

I am a distant relative of the general. It is serial number 24,450. How can I find any information about this gun, when it was manufactured and any history that I can learn about the weapon. I know it is of significant value so I took it out of the safety deposit box to take these photos, unfortunately I didn't have good light for the photos.

I have a couple of other Remington Army revolvers but they have much higher serial numbers, 36,809 and 56,834. These are not in great shape and I am just trying to learn about them. Any direction from you folks would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_0043.jpeg
IMG_0043.jpeg (1007.91 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
IMG_0041.jpeg
IMG_0041.jpeg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 3149 times
IMG_0040.jpeg
IMG_0040.jpeg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 3149 times
mikesibley

Re: Civil War Remington

Post by mikesibley »

I'm sorry, I got this in the wrong category, if the administrators can move to handguns