1873 Lifter Grade

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
jamned

1873 Lifter Grade

Post by jamned »

I have an 1873 10 ga that is a higher grade gun, but don't have a clue as to which grade. No marks on the water table except serial # which is 1158. The only other mark I can find is a "D" on the bottom of the right barrel. So, would this be a D grade?
Researcher

Re: 1873 Lifter Grade

Post by Researcher »

Early on, the Hammer-Lifter was offered in three grades -- $45, $60 & $75 --
Hammer Lifter grades pg 51.jpeg
Hammer Lifter grades pg 51.jpeg (311.21 KiB) Viewed 3599 times
Hammer Lifter grades pg 53.jpeg
Hammer Lifter grades pg 53.jpeg (277.53 KiB) Viewed 3599 times
A bit later, they changed the $75 gun to have Damascus barrels and added an $85 and $100 gun.

Probably the only way to identify the grade of your gun is to get a copy of the late Charles Semmer's book, Remington Double Shotguns and compare your gun with the pictures in the book, or post some good pictures of it here. Charles used the terms "Grade 1 to Grade 5" but the E. Remington & Sons catalogs of the time didn't uses such terms, only differentiating the guns by price.
paul harm

Re: 1873 Lifter Grade

Post by paul harm »

My 73 hammerlifter has engraving and pattern Damascus barrels. I believe it was built in 74. I put mine as a grade 3 as the grade 4 has more engraving from looking at the pictures in Semmers book. If you're going to be at all interested in Remington doubles get his book. Any Remington SxS with engraving I personally consider rare. They made a lot for farmers, or should I say the average guy, not anything at all dressed up. The low priced ones didn't have any engraving and had either twist or plain steel barrels. Laminate, or pattern Damascus barrels with engraving were put on the next step up, with finer Damascus patterns, more engraving, and finer checkering as the gun cost more. There are guys here who know far more than me. I am just trying to give you some general guide lines. Welcome aboard.