In need of info on a Remington 1889 model

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Patbar

Re: In need of info on a Remington 1889 model

Post by Patbar »

dieNusse, I wouldn't be able to reproduce the load you use because I live in France, and the powders are not the same here as in the US. There are lots of them, and I don't know much about the differences between them.

Researcher, those pressures of 11,500 or 12,500 psi are very impressive. Anyway, it gives a good idea of the sturdiness of this Remington 1889 model !
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

I assume there are loading manuals available in France that will provide the information you need to produce low pressure loads. Here, many powder and bullet manufacturers publish recommendations which usually include pressure and velocity data.
Patbar

Post by Patbar »

dieNusse, I just found manufactured cartridges designed especially for old shotguns. They are guaranteed to be safe in every guns dating back to the 19th century and proofed for smokeless powder. The pressure that they develop is of 660 bar, which is equivalent to 9,572 psi, almost twice your cartridges.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

I shoot about 8 different Remingtons with Damascus barrels dated from 1873 to 1894 with my own reloads kept under 8000psi. I'd have to think sometime in their life regular modern shells have been used in them at higher pressures with no ill effect. If I were importing shotgun barrels just don't list them as such. Maybe " clay breaking attachment " or something similar. My gunsmith friend use to ship rifles as a " precision paper punch".
Patbar

Post by Patbar »

Paul, listing barrels as "clay breaking attachment" or "precision paper punch" is very witty and can function as long as the customs don't open the package, which sometimes happens...
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

To NO DEAR - I'm always looking for suitable loads for my early Remingtons and I'd like to try yours. You posted your "recipe" but did not indicate which hull you used. Can you please supply?

Thanks in advance,