Clarence Loy

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
mslee

Clarence Loy

Post by mslee »

Hello! I am new here to the forum and am in need of some help. I am researching certain gun engravers from the late 19th century and am trying to obtain info and/or pics of guns known to have been engraved by Clarence Loy, one of Joe Loy's younger brothers. I know from census data that he did some engraving for Remington and possibly lower grade Lefever guns. Does anyone have anything that they would share with me or at least point me in the right direction on this matter. I know that there isn't much out there pertaining to gun engravers of this time but I would appreciate any and all info ya'll could send my way.

Thank you,
Shane
dieNusse1

Re: Clarence Loy

Post by dieNusse1 »

The only reference I have is from Semmers' book Remington Double Shotguns. On pages 177 - 179 there are photos of Joe Loys' work. Other than that I don't recall any other references made to engravers.
mslee

Post by mslee »

Thank you very much! I believe Clarence also worked for Remington, which begs the question - What did he do at Remington? and may be he did engraving at the residence of Joe, where Clarence and Harry lived?
Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated!
Fowlgunner

Post by Fowlgunner »

Shane,

Thanks for taking the time to look into this interesting period of gunmaking history.

Like has been shared widely, there is very little definitive information and much conjecture.

I hope your research yields success for you and all interested in the early high grade Remingtons.

Sincerely, Will Gurton