1889 Coach Gun

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
jaxenro

1889 Coach Gun

Post by jaxenro »

So I have been wanting a 1889 coach gun, with maybe 18” barrels, for a while but the thought of chopping up a good gun turns me green. However this week I acquired the parts to make one starting with a complete action with 27” Damascus barrels, sans stock and locks, and a pair of locks. Still need to source a stock, trigger guard, fore end, and some other miscellaneous parts.

Anyway as the barrels are already cut and the gun is a true basket case, the parts would fit in a basket, I don’t mind having the barrels cut further. Any ideas of who could perform this little task and refinish the Damascus finish?
dieNusse1

Re: 1889 Coach Gun

Post by dieNusse1 »

If it were me I'd look for a better candidate. Some years ago I acquired an '89 at a farm type auction for less than $100. It was complete but the last three inches of the top rib was missing from an already shortened barrel. A hack saw, file, square and sandpaper plus ten minutes work to further shorten the barrel. Some more work is needed to fill the voids between the barrels and ribs.

Finding and hand fitting a forearm to the action will take some effort. Cost? How much are you willing to spend? Refinishing the barrel will be in the range of $300 - 400. If you do that you'll want to color case harden the action parts - another $300 - 400. And I think these cost estimates are low - just referencing what I paid several years ago.
jaxenro

Post by jaxenro »

Problem with a better candidate is then I am cutting up a good gun and stock which doesn’t seem right to me
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Another option would be to find a "good" example and shorten the barrel you currently have to the length you want and then fit it to to the "good" gun. Then you would have a '89 with two sets of barrels.
jaxenro

Post by jaxenro »

Not a bad idea I but I was also planning on shortening the stock to little over pistol grip length - whatever works out to the legal limit

I think I will probably just do the best refinish job I can by myself
jaxenro

Post by jaxenro »

So if I do decide to have the barrels trimmed and refinished professionally who do you recommend?
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

I have a Remington 1889 grade 3 with 20 3/4 inch Damascus barrels I would sell. It would have to be check by a gunsmith if safe to shoot
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

It's been a long time since I've sent work out. I started refinishing Damascus barrels several years ago. It's a long process but you may want to try a short cut. Degrease and sand metal to at least a 320 grit finish (I'd go to at least 600). Plug the barrels and using a ferric chloride solution dip you'll produce a negative of the Damascus pattern. After each dip you'll want to use 4 - 0 steel wool to progressively bring out the pattern. Degrease after each application as steel wool may contain oil. This is one of the steps used in the method I use but it avoids the use of some very dangerous (read nasty) reagents.

Whether this is good enough for your purpose I don't know but most people won't know the difference.

As for professional sources I'd try Turnbull in Holcomb, NY or Bachelder in Grand Rapids, MI. I recall that there is someone in Oregon but I forget the name.

P.S. - you may have to boil the barrels after each application to fix the reaction - I haven't tried this but a little experimentation may be in order. Make sure the barrels are firmly plugged!
jaxenro

Post by jaxenro »

So I been pricing this out and am coming to about $3,000 more or less. Still need fore end parts and a trigger guard plus I am sure some springs and whatnot. A steel checkered buttplate is another $40. Fancy wood for the stock is in the $500 range and another $500 to have it shaped inlet and everything short of final finishing. Barrels cut and refinished in the $500 range, another $300 for all the metal prep plus case hardening will be additional

So would I pay $3,000 for a non stock 1889 coach gun fully refinished with high quality replacement Walnut stock and Damascus barrels? I don’t know probably not. But how do you price the gun of turning a basket of parts into a beautiful functional firearm?
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

I guess that if money is no object spending $3000 is not a problem. However, the gun will not be worth anywhere near that to the collector market. If it were me and I really wanted a "coach" gun candidate I'd wander down to a local pawn shop or watch for one being auctioned. Depends on what you want.
jaxenro

Post by jaxenro »

Thought of that but I want a pre 1895 one with Damascus barrel so that means a grade 3 or better. I want to upgrade the stock from the wood used on a grade 3, and definitely want the Damascus pattern to show like new so that means either a refinish or finding a higher grade with above average figure in the wood and lots of case hardening left to chop up and I can’t see doing that

A big part of the price I see is the wood I can’t see getting a good blank for under $500 and probably closer to $800-$1,000
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Again I think your best bet would be to obtain a complete weapon such as 2shooter offered to you and have it refinished/modified to your specification. These guns were all hand fitted at the factory so to try to fit random barrels, action body and forearm iron so they work smoothly together is a problem. And when you're finished the S/Ns (including the trigger guard) will not match. Whether or not that's important to you I don't know.

Where were you going to obtain a steel checkered butt plate? These were only supplied special order on very high grade guns.
jaxenro

Post by jaxenro »

I will probably go with this one although I am still looking

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categori ... SHOT-C-2-I
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

My error - I was thinking of the steel heel & toe butt plates used on some of the 1894 Special grade guns. Nice engraving and wood checkering on the butt plates & butt.
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

Your chances of finding a higher then a grade 3 is not likely there is less then fifty known. Then to cut one up is not good.