punt gun

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
paul harm

punt gun

Post by paul harm »

I was over on the trap shooters web site and under a punt gun post a guy had a video. In it he talks about a punt gun built by August Herfurth in Wisconsin that had a Remington barrel 46" long and a 1" bore. I had never read about them building such barrels.
paul harm

Re: punt gun

Post by paul harm »

I believe you can go here to view it. http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/int ... ns.571353/ There are 3 videos - it's the first one.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Remington, was really in the gun barrel and parts business for most of the years from their 1816 birth date up until just before the Northern War of Aggression. One of the earliest pieces of Remington paper that the Remington Society has come up with is an E. Remington & Sons 1854 broadsheet listing their cash prices for barrels. They offer --

MATCHED BARRELS for DOUBLE GUNS, plain iron------------$4.50
MATCHED BARRELS for DOUBLE GUNS, stubs twisted plain---$8.00
MATCHED BARRELS for DOUBLE GUNS, stubs twisted fine---$10.00
MATCHED BARRELS for DOUBLE GUNS, cast steel------------$8.00
BARRELS for DOUBLE GUNS, cast steel, solid or drilled from single bar-----$15.00
BARRELS for DUCK GUNS, from 20 pounds upwards -- 75 cents per lb.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

Thank you. It always amazes me of all the information you have acquired. How did you find the latest info ?
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The 1854 Broadsheet was reproduced in one of the Remington Society of America Journals some years ago. I typed out the information for a reply I did to a thread on Dave Weber's Doublegun BBS. I have a huge Word document where I have pasted many of my longer responses to internet threads so that if the subject comes up again I can do a search, copy & paste and save some typing. Unfortunately I didn't reference which issue that broadsheet with those shotgun barrel prices came from.

The entry in Small Arms Makers by Col. Gardner --

Herfurth, August -- Madison, Wis., 1856 - 78. Produced rifles, including heavy Schuetzen type.