F Trap Gun Problems

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Tamid

F Trap Gun Problems

Post by Tamid »

I was shooting trap with my F Trap gun and the 1/2 box out of the right barrel went well and ejection was ok. Then the ejection went soft and I had 2 misfires because the hammer did not fall hard enough. Left a small dent on the primer but not enough to ignite. I had no problem in the left barrel and fired the 2 misfire shells in it. I was using 2.5 shells loaded with 3 drams FFg Pyrodex and 1 1/8 #8 shot. This gun went through a complete restoration and this is perhaps the 5 and 6 box of shells out of it. What could be my problem?
dieNusse1

Re: F Trap Gun Problems

Post by dieNusse1 »

I assume you mean that the ejector would only lift the fired case out of the barrel rather than throwing it over your shoulder. I would first check for a broken ejector spring. How that might (or if) bring about misfires I don't know. Broken main spring also? Firing pin hanging up?

So how to check without a tear down? I would first try by chocking the gun, inserting a primed case, close the gun, remove the forearm and try to fire.

Keep us posted.
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

I would not fire the gun without the forend on you will have trouble getting it back on you can but you would have to cock that main spring. Are the shells you using factory? You probably have a weak or broken main spring.
The main spring tells the ejector that barrel is fired if the shell went off or not.
Tamid

Post by Tamid »

I am using hand reloads but in the thousands of rounds I've made these are the only 2 that have failed so I don't blame in on the loads. As well when shot out of the left barrel they ignited no problem.

I don't understand what taking off the forearm and shooting the barrel will achieve?

Are the mainspring and ejector spring related. If one is weak does that affect the other spring somehow.

Then again why would the first half of a box of shells ignite and eject as they should then everything go weak?
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

I think its your main spring broke I have a F Trap that acted similar to yours I found the main spring was broken replaced it been ok or hundreds of firing.
The main spring did not break in two just a piece off the end so it works but weak. Your other question about main and ejector spring being related yes when fired that main spring trips the ejector to eject the shell.
Tamid

Post by Tamid »

Your other question about main and ejector spring being related yes when fired that main spring trips the ejector to eject the shell.

Is this an all or nothing mechanism? I can understand a broken or weak mainspring but don't understand how that would relate to a weak ejector all of a sudden. If the ejector is set to go off then it shouldn't change in function or intensity, but that is theoretical assumption on my part.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

When fired, the front of the main spring will slide out of the action body a slight bit (~1/32 - 1/16") which in turn contacts the ejector sear and trips it. If the ejector sear is not tripped the case will only be lifted as if that barrel had not been fired.

The reason for firing without the forearm is to isolate which spring might be involved.
Tamid

Post by Tamid »

Thanks for all the information. I'll have to tear it down and look at the springs.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.