Please help!!! (J-lock problem?)

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
yej01

Please help!!! (J-lock problem?)

Post by yej01 »

I bought a Remongton 700 5R-SS last year. It has the J-lock mechanism. When I got it, I set the mechansim to "fire" position (the red dot facing the rear) then put it in the safe. Never fired it.
Today I bought it to the range for the first time to break-in and sight the scope. Chambered one round, then pulled the triger. Nothing happened. Waited 30 seconds and pulled out the round. There was no striker dent on the primer. Tried again several with different ammo and still didn't fire. The ammo was Blackhills and Federal Gold Match, so it should not be the primer problem. Another guy had a screw driver with him, and he tured the J-lock for me. Then the white dot appeared and I couldn't even put the bolt back.
Came home. I could no longer locate the J-key. I tried to use two eyeglass screwdrivers to turn the J-lock. The plastic core of the J-lock came out half way. I managed to put it back, and now the red dot is again facing the rear. Everything looks fine now, but I don't know whether it will fire (or is it even safe to try it again).
Should I send the rifle to a gunsmith (or Remington)? Since the plastic core came out half-way during this ordeal, it the rifle safe to fire? This is the most annoying thing ever happened! Wasted a nice Sunday and 60 mile driving. I should have brought another rifle with me, so the trip would not have been totally wasted. Not to mention that this rifle is supposed to be made by one of the most reputable companies!! This is my only remington, and I was going to buy their new 6.8 mm SPC!! Now I got a second thought.

Post by Guest »

My 700 Mountain Rifle came with a 2 year warranty. Yours should have also. I'd call Remington.
kcoop9999

Post by kcoop9999 »

:x I've had the same problem with a 710 in .30-06'. That J-Lock is the most obnoxious, and un-fixable thing remington has come up with in quite awhile. :x The 710 isn't a bad rifle, but that lock-thingy makes me want to bend it around a fence post!!!!!!!!! :evil: