Remington 700 ADL

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Simon

Remington 700 ADL

Post by Simon »

I inherited a Remington 700 ADL with a wood stock from my grandfather. It was made in the 70's and it's chambered for 30-06.

I am going to change the stock to the new synthetic type because the original stock is cracked. Is there a lot of work involved in changing the stock? Is it something I can do (I have never worked on a gun but I can usually fix stuff and put it together) or do I need to take it to a gunsmith?

Also I see that online you can buy new barrels for these guns. Is it an easy swap or is it something that needs to be done by a gunsmith?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Dave L

stocks & barrels

Post by Dave L »

Hi Simon,
You got a great rifle from your grandfather. In my opinion it's one of the best rifles out there for the price. I have 3 of them (6mm, 22-250 and 7mm mag).

Most of the synthetic type stocks these days are "drop in stocks". I think I would find the stock I want and go to the company's web site to make sure it is a drop in. You should be able to do it yourself. Just make sure you get a stock for an ADL not a BDL as the ADL has a blind mag well and the BDL has a drop mag well (the BDL opens from the bottom and the ADL doesn't). There are 2 screws on the bottom of the rifle that hold the receiver in the stock. Remove these screws and the barreled receiver will lift out. (tip: use the correct screwdriver or you may mess up the screw heads. Most times these screws are quite tight).

However, the barrel is quite a different story. When you replace a barrel the gun must be headspaced. This means the space between the bolt face and the rear of the cartridge has to be within a certain range. If the space is too small the bolt won't close and if it is too large it can increase chamber pressure to dangerous, if not catastrophic levels. you need special tools to do this (I.E. head space gauges) and the know how to use them. I guess what I'm saying is that a barrel replacement is the job of a competent gunsmith. Hope this helps.

Dave

Post by Guest »

Alright thanks a lot for the reply! I will most likely replace the stock with a new Remington synthetic stock. The barrel looks good inside so I might take it to the range and see how it does before I decide to replace it.
Dave

barrel replacement

Post by Dave »

If you barrel looks good I would definitely try it. That vintage 700 usually shoots below 1 MOA from the factory. Two of my three 700's shoot one hole groups at 100 yrds. and the other one shoots a 1 inch group at 100 consistently. A barrel change can get expensive. Good barrels can cost as much as $500. Most are in the $150 range but if you want to be assured great accuracy you need to spend more. I think you will find your 700 shoots great. If it doesn't, try decoppering the barrel. I had a friend that had a 700 in 7mm mag, that would shoot one hole groups, that all of a sudden went to 3 inch groups. Long story short, once we used Outers Foul Out it went right back to one hole groups. Good luck,
Dave