Modern Remington rifles in your collection...?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
BusMaster007

Modern Remington rifles in your collection...?

Post by BusMaster007 »

I've been in contact with Sue Creamer about getting more involved with the Society and doing a few things more related to the modern rifles by Remington.

The focus for so long has been on the old guns.
Maybe it's time to gain the interest in newer guns and see what we like to shoot.
I've managed to acquire a few specialized Remington rifles.

1998 XP-100R / .223 ( OK, it's a Long Range PISTOL... )

1989 700 BDL 'AS' / 7mm Rem.Mag. ( my FIRST Big Game rifle )
1995 700 BDL-DM / .338 'unembellished' ( since sold to get the .375 ULTRA )
2001 700 BDL POLICE / .308
2002 700 BDL / .375 ULTRA
2000 7400 Carbine Synthetic / .30-06
1955? 740 Woodsmaster with 5-digit serial # / .30-06
199? 597 / .22LR
19?? 572 / .22LR

and the ubiquitous 870 / 12-ga., except I got the EXPRESS SUPER MAG! :D

I've got a couple of extra stocks laying around so I can switch them and change the look and feel of the rifle, OR, I may have to get another rifle to put into them! :twisted:

Getting more involved may have to be put off for a few more months, but at least I can start posting in here and get to know a few of the RSA Members by being on the Message Board.
Gotta start somewhere. :wink:
"PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION OF THE POPULATION BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT"
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

Bus - there just doesn't seem to be much interest in newer Remingtons here and I will attempt to explain why. "A organization dedicated to the study of Remington firearms." Well, I would think that that would include all Remington's, old and new, but it really doesn't. Collectors are an imagnitave group, and there is not much imagination in going down the the local Wally World and ordering up a still in production Remington. Takes the thrill of the hunt out of it. Then there is the "They just don't make them anymore aspect," the historical aspect, the "character" marks, the "Old World" construction, the "if this rifle could talk" aspect, the wonder, the romance. I could go on and on, but you get my idea.

I own exactly one rifle newer than 50 years old - a Ruger 10/22 which I bought because my Remington model 550 jammed while dispatching a rattlesnake in my back yard. It just sits in the dark reaches of my gun closet, never used again after an initial test firing. The event got me interested in collecting again though so all was not lost, later I ordered the repair parts for my 550 and returned it to proper operation.

Of course the flip side of this is - I could be way off base as a rather newer poster here myself. There ARE at lot of threads about newer Remingtons here, and it all boils down to just my personal opinion. Welcome to the forum and post often about Remington's - new and old. Bob
BusMaster007

Post by BusMaster007 »

Uh-oh...now I've got to post something that is 'diplomatic'.

I was hoping someone would share their inventory of more recently made Remington rifles.
On some Forums, Remington rifles are regarded as sub-standard and poorly designed.
Now I find that even on the RSA Forum, nobody wants to talk about them!!! :shock:

My mention of talking with Sue at RSA was for a reason.
As I understand it, RSA has less than 1,000 Members WORLDWIDE... :cry:
I was looking forward to finding some excitement here on this Forum for a morale boost and incentive to become more involved, as time allowed, with RSA.

If the only interest is in "Remingtons of the Dead", then I guess I'll enjoy what I've got and somebody ELSE can write about it in 50-125 years, if you see where I'm going with this...
If there is actually some interest in getting current and living Remington owners/shooters to join RSA and increase the knowledge base for the 'study' in the here and now, for future reference, well, we all might benefit!
Especially getting the Membership # well above 1,000.
How many hunters are out there shooting the Remington 700 rifles?
POLICE? MILITARY? Retired Police & Military?
How do we get the word out and them interested?
What do they know that many of us can learn from?

I'm busy imagining ALL my Remingtons into something I want to shoot and giving them my own history. :D
I'm curious about what others have done to make their Remingtons unique or what story they have to tell.

Here's a story for you, for example:
"My oldest daughter's first word she learned to read was 'Remington'..."
That's a true story, and I'm sure there are many others just waiting to be told.
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

Being a new member myself, I'm in no position to defend or critique the Remington Society or it's members, but I was surprised that your post resulted in no response, hense my provoking reply. I have read most of the threads here, and can vouch for the diplomacy of the initiators and responders, a far more civil place to be than some forums on the net.

My first firearm was a Remington, the previously mentioned model 550. I have never thought of them as second best but rather one of America's premier firearms manufacturers.

If you haven't discovered "Rimfirecentral" yet

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21

give it a try. Lot's of knowledgeable posters there with discussion about Remington's (mostly .22's) old and new. But continue to post here, I think we have lots of "lurkers" that enjoy reading about anything Remington related, and that includes me. Best regards - Bob
BusMaster007

Post by BusMaster007 »

I've been to rimfirecentral and posted there many times. It's a great site.

If you have the links to those modern Remington rifle threads for this site, that'd be a great time saver. Otherwise, I'll start searching.

Thanks. 8)
rem141

Post by rem141 »

Bus, you asked for an inventory list of some modern guns. I’m a collector of Remington C.F. slide action rifles. I guess the early ones, 1912-1950, fall into your category of non-modern guns. Even though these are my favorites, I also have models that are still in production or have been until recently. Some are as follows:

1970---700---25-06
1978---700---300mag
1988---7600---35 Whelen
1987---7600---6MM
1988---7600---280
1990---7600---7-08
1991---7600---25-06
2001---7600---35 Rem carbine
I have shot most of them and I have scored with my hunting favorite, 760--30-06, many times. I will be glad to discuss these or the ones that you listed whenever you have the time.
I agree that we should be collecting guns and info on the current guns now when it is readily available and people are living that can comment and answer questions. But be aware that this is being done to some degree, RSA members have written books on the most popular of the current hunting rifles, the 700, 7400 and 7600. Also there have been two excellent articles in the American Rifleman in recent months by RSA members on the 870 and the 760. These books and articles preserve unique data that could be lost in a generation or two. Questions and comments on these can be directed to this forum because you are talking to the same people.
This site also has a question forum, “Ask Remshotsâ€
Last edited by rem141 on Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

rem141 wrote:..................Bus, you asked for an inventory list of some modern guns. I’m a collector of Remington C.F. slide action rifles. I guess the early ones, 1912-So Bus and you other hunter/shooters let’s get some activity going. Are the Remington rifles really perfect?

Are the Remington rifles really perfect?

Not since the 60's. Remingtons (bolt guns) had there peak 1940 - 1962 with the 720, 721, 722, and 725. They just don't make them like they used to. Add the early 40x, xb, and 37's.

Post by Guest »

Bus, I think I know how you feel. I joined the RSA during it's first years only to quit after two years because the model 14 was too new. I was unable to get any information on the gun I collected. Two years ago I began to ask some questions on this site. I found other people shared my area of interest. So I rejoined the RSA and have taken the time to attend a seminar. 141 is right there are alot of people looking into the "new stuff." I have a Peerless, three 700 rifles, and a 40X. I don't spend alot of time researching these guns because I collect the model 14, but I know it would be a good idea for someone to gather the data while it is still fresh. I would be happy to give you any information I have. I also encourage you to continue to post questions. You are the next generation of RSA collectors now. It may take a little work, but you will find people of like minds if you keep trying. That's when things get good. I'll the looking forward to your next post.
rem141

Post by rem141 »

Rem725, I agree that those Remingtons from 1940 thru the 1960s were some of the best. As you know I have a 725--244 which is on your list, but for good looks in the more modern Remingtons I pick the Model Six and the Model 541S. Not only are they beautiful but also great shooters. perfect Remingtons. Everyone has their own choice, I like the walnut wood and blued steel.
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

Rem725 wrote:
rem141 wrote:..................Bus, you asked for an inventory list of some modern guns. I’m a collector of Remington C.F. slide action rifles. I guess the early ones, 1912-So Bus and you other hunter/shooters let’s get some activity going. Are the Remington rifles really perfect?

Are the Remington rifles really perfect?

Not since the 60's. Remingtons (bolt guns) had there peak 1940 - 1962 with the 720, 721, 722, and 725. They just don't make them like they used to. Add the early 40x, xb, and 37's.
I used to be very interested in center fire rifles, mostly military surplus, but stopped when my ammunication locker overflowed with ammunition of various calibers. Since I have focused on rimfires, and can attest to the allure of the 40X having both the heavy and standard barrel models. I can only lust after the ledgendary 37. But - having read Eugene Myszkowski's book cover to cover on autoloading and pump Remingtons my knees get weak at the sight of any model featured in his book. There may be centerfire/modern Remington's in my future yet.
BusMaster007

Post by BusMaster007 »

I understand the need to get the gunsafe down to a certain number of calibers.
I've made recent choices in my 'collection' of firearms that kept the versatility alive, but at the same time didn't begin any new ventures in buying scope mounts, magazines or additional calibers.

I even sold a semi-auto Swedish AG42-B Ljungman in 6.5x55 that I'd had for 7 yrs., because after I fired it, the 'magic' was all in my head!
The 1901 all matching #'s M96 bolt-action, though, I KEPT!
I'd LOVE to have the 1994 Remington Classic in this caliber.

Unless a physical condition prevented me from shooting the various centerfire cartridges available, I'd never limit myself to the .22LR.
I can see it if it were a necessity, though.
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

Being slightly built, it's a wonder that recoil never bothered me. I used to get a "kick" (pun intended) out of portly range users arriving in padded shooting jackets or tie-on pads while I continued shooting my 7.5 to 8mm rifles in a Tee shirt.

I still maintain a respectable collection of Swedish and Swiss military rifles and will never give up my SKS collection, but the Mausers and Enfields are mostly history.
dick_tracy1953

Let me jump in on this one...

Post by dick_tracy1953 »

I have two Remington 722's (257 Roberts/300 Savage), one Remington 721 (30.06), and four Remington 58 Sportsman shotguns ( 20, 20, 12, 12).

Also I own one 1903A3, two 1903's, and one Model 1917 that are Remington rifles.

As far as modern firearms goes, I have one 12 gauge Remington 1100, one 20 gauge standard Remington 1100 skeet, one 12 gauge Wingmaster Trap, one Remington 700 ( 7mm-08 ), one Remington 700 Mountain (308), and one Remington 541X.

I think that the 541X is an excellent rifle. The Mountain is not a target gun, however, it groups best taking three shots. As for the Remington 700 in 7mm-08 goes, I placed two almost touching rounds in a 3.5 inch black circle at two hundred meters. I can not wait to adjust the trigger but otherwise that rifle can shoot. I have not benched any of my Remingtons nor any other gun so 3.5 inch freehand at 200 meters is my test.

I agree that the early rifles and shotguns are more responsive but any firearm can become one with the shooter.
John Gyde

Modern Remingtons

Post by John Gyde »

The RSA is making a real effort to include modern Remingtons. Did you notice the article on the 870s???

Also. have you tried the new 597 22 rifles. I love old Remington 22s, but the 597 is as good as any of them in function...

John Gyde
REMNUTT

OLD NEW REMINGTON CENTER FIRE RIFLES

Post by REMNUTT »

I HAVE BEEN INTERESTED IN THE 742 AND 760 RIFLES FOR QUITE A WHILE. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW MANY 742 RIFLES IN THE 60'S HAD THE BEAR AND THE DEER ON THE RECIEVERS. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION I CAN GET ON THESE DEER AND BEAR RIFLES. :?: