Modern Remington rifles in your collection...?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
GeneM

Model 742s with deer & bear scenes

Post by GeneM »

I cover the production of Models 740, 742 and 760 by caliber, grade and year in my book Remington Autoloading and Pump-Action Rifles. These were Model 742 ADL grade rifles and CDL grade carbines produced from 1960 - 1963.

Rifles: .30-06 - 22,952; .308 W - 4,726; .280 R - 1,715; 6mm R - 855.
Carbines: .30-06 - 4,112, .308 W - 1,070; .280 R - 186.

The October 2005 issue of the American Rifleman has an article on the Models 760 & 7600 Pump-Action rifles.

While it is true that "Wally World" has rifles that are like peas in a pod there are some unusual ones being produced today. Grice Wholesale of Clearfield, PA orders non-cataloged limited runs from Remington that are exclusive to them. This year they have high gloss maple stocked 7600s. They had 7600s with deer scenes in the 1990s and almost every year they have 7600s in calibers such as 7mm-08, .25-06 and .260 Rem.

I have been corresponding with a number of collectors of the pumps and semi-autos. They have several, shoot most of them but don't think of themselves as collectors.

If interested in the book contact me off forum.

Gene Myszkowski
genejan61@berk.com
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

Gene welcome to the forum, your Remington expertise can be a great benefit here. As I mentioned previously in this thread, I have your book and find it a marvelous referance. You must know Roy Marcot as you photo credit him in your book. Anything new coming out?
Gene Myszkowski

Post by Gene Myszkowski »

rsv1rem - I should sign in rather than replying as a guest. Roy is a good friend and has been very helpful on both the Remington-Lee and the Auto & Pump books. I will see him the end of this month as a member of the RSA Research Team working in Ilion. Hopefully I will find some new information for a future update of the Auto & Pump book.

I still have my original Model 722 in .244 caliber that I purchased new in 1961, however, it has gone through several rebuilds. All that remains is the action and bolt. I redid the rifle in the 1980s with a new 6 mm Remington barrel, trigger, trigger guard and black plastic stock. Still shoots into less than a 3/4" group at 100 yards.

I have a number of Autoloaders and Pumps after starting from 0 when my good friend Ray Shields asked about his 4 digit Model 760. He has added to his collection with a number of Model 760 and 7600 carbines.

Gene
remingtongeo

Post by remingtongeo »

I think a little talk about the new rifles is important. This subject has gotten more response than any I've seen on this forum in years.

I love my Remington 22's and that includes the new ones. I picked up a 504, s.n. 79x, when they first came out. I used the "x" because I foregot the last number. I also took the 597 out to S.D. and shot quite a few pdogs with it. The 572 smooth bore is the second one I own and is new. And the pride of my new Remingtons is the Friends of NRA 572. It is just wonderfull. The reciever is stainless and gold inlaid. The blue is dark and has a great lustor to it. The wood is to die for and the fit and finish is equal to any Remington I've ever seen.

I think we could all look at the Remington products available today and see something that will be a collectable classic in the furture.
BusMaster007

Post by BusMaster007 »

remingtongeo wrote:I think a little talk about the new rifles is important. This subject has gotten more response than any I've seen on this forum in years...

...I think we could all look at the Remington products available today and see something that will be a collectable classic in the furture.
:D That's the interest I was looking for! 8)
"PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION OF THE POPULATION BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT"
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

Yes, isn't it something, after laying fallow for several days this has become perhaps the most popular thread on this forum. :lol: Proves there is room for all interests here. It certainly eclipsed my plea for interest in Remington's model 550-P which garnered exactly (thank you John) one response. :roll:
rafter-7

my remingtons few pics

Post by rafter-7 »

38/40 hepburn
513s with extra fancy wood [optional]
no. 7 rem roller
my dad,uncle,grandpa,[dads dad] and brother photo taken in 1976 the last hunt i can recall with grandpa i am the little guy in the black cap Age 7
PRICELESS
34 nra, 12nra, 511, 700 with a douglas barrel 700 classic 257roberts 700 LV in a .223 700 stainless .338 win.w/hi-tek stock a couple 40X and 504 rimfires
and a few others needless to say i like remingtons.
Not a fan of the J-lock but i guess we half-to be politicaly correct
rafter-7
BusMaster007

Post by BusMaster007 »

Nice to see some pix!
I'm not able to post pix at this time ( sorry! ), but will post like a madman when I can.
Anybody with some pix of 'newer' guns?
"PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION OF THE POPULATION BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT"