30 rem umc

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
goosegizzard@aol.com

30 rem umc

Post by goosegizzard@aol.com »

I am looking for some information on this rifle and am hoping you can help me out.

This is what it says
"remington arms union metallic cartridge company
remington works ilion new york usa
pedersens pat oct 12 09 july 5 10 nov 19 12
30 rem" (pump rifle)
It has a brass head stamp that says
"REM UMC 30 REM" around a U

Thank you in advance for your help.
Please email goosegizzard@aol.com
Hardrada55

30 Rem UMC

Post by Hardrada55 »

Sounds like a Remington Model 14 pump action rifle in .30 Remington. Made from 1912 to 1936. I don't have any info on how many were made. 22 inch barrel in the rifle version. A carbine with an 18 1/2 inch barrel was also available. Some early rifles had what was called a "fingernail" safety on the bolt. Later rifles have the cross trigger safety which is on the trigger guard. They quit making .30 Remington ammo in '97, but I still find boxes of it in little out of the way pawn shops, hardware stores, drug stores (really!). The spiral type tube magazine under the barrel was especially designed to keep the point of the bullets from striking the primer of the cartridge ahead of it. Value, as always, depends on condition. Condition is judged by how much of the original blueing remains and how much of the original finish on the wood is still there. Also things like rust and cracks in wood or being drilled and tapped for a scope can lower the value. Special features (like that fingernail safety or a nice receiver sight) can raise the value. Most I see run about $300.
goosegizzard@aol.com

thank you

Post by goosegizzard@aol.com »

Thank you for the information!
30UMC

30 Remington Model 14

Post by 30UMC »

Hardrad,
Thanks for the good info... I've just taken one of these old rifles out to the range for the first time today (along with my DE .50 and H&K P9S .45). My Dad passed away about a year ago and he left me this old rifle and a box of ammo. I've finally gotten around to shooting it, and it was a blast! It was pretty accurate (with iron sites) at 50 yards, even with old ammo. The recoil wasn't bad either. I had a chrono set up and averaged 2018 fps with a 170 gn. flat point. Looks like it might be a fun round to reload.

I'm trying to figure out how to take it apart and clean it, now that I've shot it. I don't have much experience with rifles, mostly shotguns and auto pistols. Can you tell me how to take the barrel off so I can clean it?