Model 12-C .22 Value

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Robert R. Sheldon

Model 12-C .22 Value

Post by Robert R. Sheldon »

Hi,

I am looking for an estimated value on a Remington Model 12-C pump action .22 that is a fairly high grade, I believe, due to extensive scrolling on the rounded butt plate on the end of the pistol grip portion of the stock.

I believe the rifle was manufactured in the early 1920's but the serial, if it is the serial number, I found inside the action is 58,3xxx. I also found another 5 and a D inside the action. On the outside of the gun on the lower left side of the barrel just in front of the action is a BZ8.

The stock is very well checkered with the three pronged shapes on both fore and aft portions and is an exceptionally fine piece of wood with the rear portion possibly burl, if that is spelled correctly. The butt plate is of metal that is checkered with a scrolled portion lapping over the top of the stock.

There is a push button safety behind the trigger. The rear sight is a tip-up peep and the front is side to side adjustable and says Marble Sheared on it. This gun also has a small, about 3/4 in., copper colored circular piece in the very bottom of the rear stack, though there is no inscription on it.

The gun breaks into two pieces by loosening a thumbscrew through the receiver. The bore is excellent inside. Overall the gun is about 85% + blued remaining with some light pitting mainly on the loading tube.

Thanks a lot for your interest and help. I fully appreciate it. Looking forward to your thoughts, Bob Sheldon
Robert R. Sheldon

The stock on Model 12-C

I now have it on good authority that the stock on my Model 12-C is by Bb Owen. I would think this would increase the value. Is anyone here familiar with Bob Owen stocks?
remingtongeo

Post by remingtongeo »

Hi,

Your 12c was born in January, 1933 according to the barrel code. I could only guess if the stock work would increase the value. I collect only orginal condition rifles, so to me it would not be of major interest.

I purchased an excellent (near mint) 12c about two years ago for $425. I would ask for a couple of hundred more if I owned yours and see if it flies. You will find real buyers for your rifle at collector shows, most people will just be stock kickers.

George
Robert R. Sheldon

Value of 12-C

Thanks for your help. The fellow I sent the pictures to who is an expert on Owen stocks has now purchesed the 12-C for $800. I think he considers that he got it for a couple hindred off actual value.

Thanks again, I was beggining to wonder if anyone was here.

Bob S