760 Wood Needed.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
kenken0269

760 Wood Needed.

Post by kenken0269 »

What I have is a 150th anniversary 760 that doesn't have a stock or forearm on it. I was told that the wood that was on it was real expensive. Does anyone make or have replacement wood for these guns? I will need all the retaining hardware as well.

Any help will be appreciated.

kenken :D
nambujim

Re: 760 Wood Needed.

Post by nambujim »

Hi!
My guess is that finding the 150th Ann. wood is going to be difficult if not impossible but I just saw a 760 stock on Ebay and you might try the gun auction sites like Gunbroker & Auction Arms.

Failing all that, I have had some luck with Hoosier Gun Works website and there is always Numrich (Gun Parts Corp). You will find something suitable, it will just take a while.

Jim
Jim Peterson
kstone1020

Post by kstone1020 »

Nambujim is correct. you have a better chance of hitting the lottery 2 days in a row than come across the 150 anniversary stock set for that particular rifle, however, any stock sets for the model 6, 760, or 7600 will fit with little to no alterations (be sure that if you chose this route to make sure the donor set comes from the identical caliber your 760 is to ensure the forearm cutout matches your barrels circumference)

I believe the 150 aniverssary stock was mahogany if Im not mistaken. you could find a good wood worker and make replicas, but the value will certainly drop drastically. ( you will however have the same wood as the original)

Remington (for a very pretty penny) may provide you with another matching grade set. (best option to retain value)

Finally, try the websites Nambujim had mentioned and try to find a 150 anniversary that is mechanically under par and strip the stocks, One good point to this method is youll have a parts rifle, sans the defective parts and the wood is an identical match.

Best of luck, you may need it on this scavange
Guntrader

Post by Guntrader »

I'd try the auction sites first, this guy makes some nice aftermarket stocks if you can't find what your looking for.
http://macongunstocks.net/remington_mod ... ts_90.html
I've seen 760's with worn finish and good wood go for $200 or so.