Cartridge Jam Model 14

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Dave

Re: Cartridge Jam Model 14

Post by Dave »

AWW.... come-on! You left us hangin' here!
After 2 videos you leave us hangin' ??????
How did it turn out!!!
:( :o
CWarmouth

Post by CWarmouth »

Ha ha. Stayed tuned. I'll post a complete report in a couple days.
CWarmouth

Post by CWarmouth »

OK, here it is... After several emails back and forth between NambuJim and me, and failure on my part to get the rounds out, I decided to take a 5.5 hour road trip to bring the gun to him. Jim was so kind to drive an hour to help me shorten my trip. We met at a McDonalds and had a nice meeting for an hour or so. Let me say that Jim is one heck of a good guy. I REALLY enjoyed meeting him and regret that we did not have more time to visit. He is a very interesting and accomplished fellow with a heart of gold. Anyway, he took my gun home and got right to work on it. He called me a couple hours later to say that he had gotten the rounds out (disassembly required) and was starting on some other work that I had asked him to do, and some other work that I had not asked him to do! When I got home from work today the gun was waiting for me at the house with a new magazine ring, nicely cleaned and oiled (the bore is shiny like a mirror), reblued, and cycling rounds effortlessly and smoothly! Ahhh, it's so nice!

The problem was that I was using flat nose bullets and they would not cycle.

Thank you to Jim and to Tom H who persuaded Jim to help out this neophyte. Now I just need to get my son out for some practice and then get him a deer with it!
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Carl!
It's nice to do things for nice people and I have sent the invoice to Hemphill.

For those reading this, if you have a dark or nasty bore try T/M bore cleaner!
The stuff needs to be used in a well ventilated room or outside but it works like champ and quickly. I used a stell brush on Carl's bore, just four passes, then followed with several wet patches, and then dry ones until they quit coming out black. It is really good stuff!

Thanks for the PR plug, hope your boy enjoys the rifle!

Jim
Jim Peterson