788, just the facts...

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
788luva

788, just the facts...

Post by 788luva »

does anyone have any good links to the history of this rifle? I have read many conflicting stories on this; about it and the 700, about how it was made, whether it was time/labor intensive or not, does it fall apart easy, etc.
If you have any knowledge of, or links to any good articles to answer any of my questions,
I would greatly appreciate it...
Wulfman

Re: 788, just the facts...

Post by Wulfman »

788luva

Post by 788luva »

yep, I have, but these are the same old stories, meaningless. I figured that someone here has
some more facts, and able to back them up.
JamieADLLS

Post by JamieADLLS »

Personally I don't really care about the facts or other articles about the 788. Too many weren't exactly kind to this rifle.
I do know this though: I once had one in 6mm that I would darn near kill to have back. Best, most reliable, easy to shoot rifle I ever owned.
And it killed virtually everything I pulled the trigger on.

Oh well, someday I hope! :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

I bought a 788 in 30-30 when they first came out. I loved that rifle. It was the most accurate 30-30 I've ever owned (owned 9 or 10 30-30s over the years). But I was out sighting it in for it's 2nd deer season and the bolt handle came right off in my hand (soddering released from the bolt body). Sent it to Remington and they fixed it at no charge. I missed hunting that deer season with my new 788. Got to hunt with it the next year and shot my first deer. But unfortunately there are A Holes out there and one of them broke in to my house and stole it. I still miss that rifle.