Wrecked Mo 25

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Rickster

Wrecked Mo 25

Post by Rickster »

I've been looking at this poor 25 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =160025349 trying to figure out what happened to it. At first I thought maybe it had been run over, dropped or stepped on. Then it occurred to me. That kind of damage could have been caused by firing out of battery, or maybe an overload. What do you think?
John Gyde

Re: Wrecked Mo 25

Post by John Gyde »

The fore arm looks like it might be good. Some of the other parts might be usable, but who knows... It looks more like it's been run over than an overload...
Mike Strietbeck

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

It looks to me like it's been the victim of dissassembly rage. Note the screwdriver pry marks on the close up photo of the top front of the stock. Indicates an attempt to use alcohol and force. When that didn't work, it looks like the rifle was swung by the barrel at a fixed object.

Mike Strietbeck
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
Rickster

Post by Rickster »

That's funny Mike. I got a visual on that one. And very plausible.

I had noticed that the bottom metal is bowed down. The bolt is not full forward even though the slide appears to be full forward. The hole in the wood appears to have been blown out as opposed to bashed in. And the rear section of the receiver is sprung back. The only thing I can think of that explains all of those is that somehow high pressure gasses got inside the receiver and tried to disassemble it from the inside. As in, a case ruptured.
umcpumpgun

Post by umcpumpgun »

I would put my money on a dissassembly rage and then a line drive at a Hickory tree when dissassembly with the take down scew failed. He probably owned a screwdriver too. Just proves some people shouldn't be allowed to own tools. I don't think a .32 or .25 WCF ever had that much power.
Rickster

Post by Rickster »

Could be. If a guy could manage to get it bent back into shape it has some potential. The metal finish is in extraordinary condition.
Dave

Post by Dave »

How about parts from more than one gun that don't fit so well??