Remington Rifle

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Gregmik

Remington Rifle

Post by Gregmik »

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and my GF has just inherited a Remington Rifle in 30-06. I would like to find out what model it is. The metel is engraved all the way up to the muzzle. The only way I know it is a Remington is, I took the scope and mounts off and underneath was "Remington" "U.S." and the serial number. It is a bolt action and the bolt has the safety on it. The bolt also has a manual hammer in it. I beleive the engraver took off all the identifying marks when he engraved it. It has no open sights. Does anybody have a clue what model it is?

Thanks,
Greg
MN
Gregmik

Post by Gregmik »

Well,
After alot of reading I think it is a Model 721. The serial number is 3112XXX. I can't seem to find any pictures online to confirm what it is. I have read here that there is a date code on the barrel. I can't see any factory marking because of the extensive engraving. The next question that I have is: How do I tell if this is a factory engraving job or not. And what Model 721's came with engraving. The reason I am asking all this is we are going to get insurance for these guns(this is not the only gun that she has inherited) and they are going to want Model numbers and values. She just got the guns today and I will be calling Remington in the morning. I am curious and thaught maybe someone here would know.

Greg
Gregmik

Post by Gregmik »

I'm back again,
I called Remington and they were no help at all. I tried to describe the gun to her and the type of bolt. All she wanted was Model #s and patent dates. I told her about the engraving and she said that without the patent dates and such she could not help me. So I guess I am off to the local gun shop to see if they can help.

Greg
DavidFagan

photo's of a 721 - taken from one listed on gunsamerica

Post by DavidFagan »

David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Gregmik

Post by Gregmik »

David,
First of all...thank you for posting these pictures. I guess the gun we have is not a 721. See how the safety goes down next to the body of the breech on the gun in the pictures? The gun we have the safety is integrated into the bolt. I will see if I can get some pictures of this gun later tonight.

Thanks again,

Greg
ChuckD

Remington 30-06

Post by ChuckD »

Greg,
Based on the information you have given, I would say you have a Remington manufactured 1903 or 1903 A3 Springfield which has been sporterized. This is The only high powered Remington with the safety on the bolt that I know of. A picture would answer the question.
Chuck D.
Gregmik

Post by Gregmik »

Here are some pictures. If you look at the third picture you will see the safety and the hammer pulled back. This is my first time posting pictures here, so if they don't show up it is because I screwed up somehow.

Greg
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

It is a Springfield 03 or 03A3.

Sporterized from the Military rifle. The safety is a modification for the scope use.

"The U.S. Model 1903A3 Rifle, manufactured 1903 to 1945, this rifle replaced the Krag-Jorgensen and was the primary U.S. Battle Rifle until 1936, when it was replace by the M1 Garand. In 1942 Remington Arms redesigned the rifle using stamped parts and designated it the 1903A3. The '03 rifle saw service all the way into the early stages of the Vietnam War, were it was still utilized as a sniper rifle in the form of the 1903A4."

The year of manufacture for serial number 3112000 is 1941.
The year of manufacture for serial number 3112999 is 1941.

Remington 1903A3 production started in 1942 at number 3348086
Gregmik

Post by Gregmik »

Thanks Rem725,
This would follow in a pattern as he also had a Standard Products M-1 carbine sporterized also. The scrolling on the 1903 is really nice. The underside has the silver inlay also. We need to find somewhere to get it apraised as the insurance company wants the info.

Thanks again for the help with the ID,
Greg