Rem. Mod 7 and Mod 700 actions- what is difference

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Gaffer

Rem. Mod 7 and Mod 700 actions- what is difference

Post by Gaffer »

What is different between these two actions besides length? My son is trying to build a .243 Varmint gun and asked me if there was a difference, other than length. What say you all? Thanks!
BusMaster007

Re: Rem. Mod 7 and Mod 700 actions- what is difference

Post by BusMaster007 »

I'm posting because nobody else has... :?
Sorry I can't give you a good answer to your question; you might try the Google option to get more info.

There is a difference, and I've yet to get a Model 7 action, unless my XP-100R action is the equivalent to the 'Seven'.
So far I have 3 Model 700's; a 700 POLICE in .308, a 700 in .375 ULTRA MAG, and a 700 in 7mm Rem.Mag.
I did have a 700 DM in .338 Win.Mag. at one time and probably should've kept it! but I wanted 'more power' and certainly got it with the .375 ULTRA.

Good luck in your search for the definitive answer to your question. Not too many RSA members seem to be interested in the newer Remington rifles... :?:
They might get a lot more members in the RSA if they started to cater to the MILLIONS of people that own the more current firearms, as in ones made in the latter half of the 20th Century!
I just renewed my membership because I'm a genuine Remington fan and collector of those guns, but dang! c'mon! start catering to the current crop of owners and guns for cryin' out loud.

OK, rant mode off! :D
"PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION OF THE POPULATION BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT"
remington600

Post by remington600 »

The model 7 action was made to make a more petite rifle the model 7. They are basically the same action just the 7 is smaller and built for short action calibers. To build off one it would be a lot easier to use a 700 action because there are a lot more parts out there for them. To build a 243 it would be easier to just buy one already made unless you just have to feel you put it together.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

The Model 7 is also a re-designed version of the Model 600 series.....600 (w/vent rib barrel), 660 and 600 Mohawk.

As far as dimensions go, the Models 600s and 7s (compared to the 700s) have less "mass" in the receiver area just ahead of the bolt handle.......between it and the cartridge loading port.

Den
Gaffer

Post by Gaffer »

Thanks guys! That is what I thought but wanted to be sure. At this point the son has decided to put the .243 project off. He found a Kimber 84 in .260 Rem with Leupold scope that he bought instead.