1903 rolling block

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Blackpowder

1903 rolling block

Post by Blackpowder »

I just aquired a Rolling Block in 7mm-08 . The grandson said it saw possible use at San Juan hill. The sling is original and is stamped 1907 Rock island arsenal. However i cant find any serial number. anyone have any ideas. Thanks....KW
dieNusse1

Re: 1903 rolling block

Post by dieNusse1 »

The battle for San Juan Hill took place in 1898. The standard issue rifle for US forces in the Spanish - American War was the Krag in 30cal. This not to say that some irregular forces might have used a RB.
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

I assume the bbl is marked 7mm. If so, most likely a 7x57. However, also not likely to be a SAMMI spec 7x57.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

Military Rolling Blocks do not generally have serial numbers.
US forces on San Juan Hill did not have Rolling Blocks but the Cubans did.
If you intend to shoot it you MUST be careful that the ammo head spaces correctly and you will almost certainly need to hand load your ammo.

I use a 7 mm 1902 Rolling block regularly and I size the cases by loading a light load to fireform them before reverting to a regular load. No doubt this will bring replies and advice to look at the many posts on this subject.

The 7 mm Mauser cartridge embarrased US forces in Cuba and the British in South Africa.
Enjoy.