Remington 550-1 sear case

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
old tanker

Remington 550-1 sear case

Post by old tanker »

I found a 550-1 at a yard sale and the sear case on it looks also to be cross threaded all to hell. I am afraid to disturb it. Has anyone had any luck repairing such damage? How did you do it or who did you send it to? I'd like to get it back into good shooting condition.
jackrem

Re: Remington 550-1 sear case

Post by jackrem »

I have repaired one with sear spring case ruined threads. i can describe repair if there is interest.
jackrem

Post by jackrem »

I suggest you look at diagrams in owners manual, search on 'Remington model 550.pdf' to get to https://www.remarms.com/support/owners-manuals The Sear is held in place (up/down) by the head of the Sear Spring Case, between a flat (above) and an offset in the sear (below). The off set interferes with the Case when removing and when replacing the Case. The Sear rotates on the Sear Pin and if rotated down the offset moves a bit to the side. The safety needs to be off and holding the trigger helps to allow the Sear "down" when removing the Case. When replacing Case it is necessary to hold the Sear in the "down" position. You are likely to have the Receiver upside down so the Sear tends to fall to the "up" position with the offset interfering with the Case Head. That pushes the Case off to the side and causes a cross thread. The thread is 3/8 32 so the threads are only about 0.03 inch apart, less than the average spark plug gap, so it is easy to cross thread.
old tanker

Post by old tanker »

Thanks for the information and the link to the owner's manual. The gun is working and shoots fine. However, with the action out of the stock it is pretty evident that the sear case is cross threaded. I annoys me greatly that it is so, but I am torn between leave well enough alone and making it right. I am afraid that if I take it out to attempt a repair I'll be in over my head.