Replacement Model 721 Barrel or counter bore

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
usabaker

Replacement Model 721 Barrel or counter bore

Post by usabaker »

I found that the first 1/2" from the muzzle is worn to the point that a bullet head will fall into it without issue. There is no throat erosion at the other end, I have not slugged the barrel yet though.

I was wondering if anyone had a source for replacement barrels, new, used, or aftermarket for the Remington 721 in 300 H&H. Worse case I was thinking of counter-boring the existing barrel if the slugging shows it within spec.

Thank you in advance,

Bill
600RemGuy

Re: Replacement Model 721 Barrel or counter bore

Post by 600RemGuy »

Just my humble opinion but the counterbore will likely cause havoc with accuracy as crowning properly is likely impossible. Although no one would want to shorten a 300 too much, losing the length would likely be better overall and have the bullet leave a well cut crown. Has this been gone over by a gunsmith? I'm struggling with why this happened at the muzzle in the first place!
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

You didn't comment on what type of accuracy you have with the existing condition of the barrel.
If it's "reasonable", leave it alone.
If not, have a competent gunsmith remove the front sight, cut and re-crown the barrel.

Den

usabaker

Post by usabaker »

600RemGuy wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:06 pm Has this been gone over by a gunsmith? I'm struggling with why this happened at the muzzle in the first place!
I've used a bore cam on the bore and the ware is isolated to just under a 1/2" from the muzzle. When I bought the rifle I did'nt gauge the barrel, my mistake I guess I was excited about finding a 721 in 300 H&H close to home. It totally on me.. Next time I'm at the shop where I bout it I'm going to ask about it though, it was a consignment so I doubt he will know anything.
Last edited by usabaker on Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
usabaker

Post by usabaker »

Wulfman wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:30 pm You didn't comment on what type of accuracy you have with the existing condition of the barrel. If it's "reasonable", leave it alone.
If not, have a competent gunsmith remove the front sight, cut and re-crown the barrel.
Den, Not too great; it was about 3" groups at 100 yd. at 300 yd I could not get it on a 17" X 17" target

Well, I have been bouncing back and forth on this one. I really love this rifle and can't see just settling. Seems original barrels are few and far between. I found a place called McGowan Precision Barrels https://mcgowenbarrel.com/ that can make a custom barrel for it and cut the barrel to the factory contour including the "sight bump" as it is on the original barrel, I'll have to solder the front sight on myself though.

The price of course is about the same I would have to pay for another 721 in 300 H&H, but I can't see letting a rifle like this be subpar and end up a safe queen. I certentaly would not sell the rifle like this.

So I figure that this will become a 100% hunting rifle - this year's deer season being her first - and a rifle I will hand down to one of my kids. I'll just buy another for my collection later.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

usabaker wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:07 pm
Wulfman wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:30 pm You didn't comment on what type of accuracy you have with the existing condition of the barrel. If it's "reasonable", leave it alone.
Den, Not too great; it was about 3" groups at 100 yd. at 300 yd I could not get it on a 17" X 17" target

Well, I have been bouncing back and forth on this one. I really love this rifle and can't see just settling. Seems original barrels are few and far between. I found a place called McGowan Precision Barrels https://mcgowenbarrel.com/ that can make a custom barrel for it and cut the barrel to the factory contour including the "sight bump" as it is on the original barrel, I'll have to solder the front sight on myself though.

The price of course is about the same I would have to pay for another 721 in 300 H&H, but I can't see letting a rifle like this be subpar and end up a safe queen. I certentaly would not sell the rifle like this.

So I figure that this will become a 100% hunting rifle - this year's deer season being her first - and a rifle I will hand down to one of my kids. I'll just buy another for my collection later.
A lot of the "accuracy" can also depend on the scope (parallax), the bedding, the stock screws being snug/tight, and trigger pull.......not to mention the loads. Hand loads or factory? Hand loads can be tweaked to much better accuracy than factory loads.
It may be premature to blame the accuracy (or lack thereof) on the lands and grooves at the end of the barrel.

I don't believe you gave us any information on what your history was with this rifle.
Have you had it for many years or did you just acquire it?

Too many things we don't know about this situation to give an "accurate" (pun intended) assessment.

Den

usabaker

Post by usabaker »

Wulfman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:00 pm A lot of the "accuracy" can also depend on the scope (parallax), the bedding, the stock screws being snug/tight, and trigger pull.......not to mention the loads. Hand loads or factory? Hand loads can be tweaked to much better accuracy than factory loads. It may be premature to blame the accuracy (or lack thereof) on the lands and grooves at the end of the barrel.

I don't believe you gave us any information on what your history was with this rifle. Have you had it for many years or did you just acquire it?

Too many things we don't know about this situation to give an "accurate" (pun intended) assessment.
I'm not a Palma Match grade shooter, I'm confident in my abilities and that of the tool. The scope is old but it's fine a Vintage Bushnell 4x12 with parallax. The receiver was set well by the stock screws so any error would have been that of the shooter. I was also using a Caldwell Stinger Rifle Shooting Rest to set zero and take all of the shots.

The round were ones that I handloded 168gr Barnes TTSX with 63.0 grains of IMR 4350

I bought this on February 24 this year, rifle about I know nothing about this rifle's history other than the manufacture date Serial #284796 Model 721 Cal 300 H&H Date B ZZ 01/53. It was a consignment rifle that I found at a local gunshop.