Remington Model 14 issue

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
4570GOVT

Remington Model 14 issue

Post by 4570GOVT »

I have a 1919 vintage Model 14 in 25 Remington. Infrequently it will fire when the action is closed. This occurs with the safety on and no fat fingers on the trigger so I am thinking it is a sear engagement issue.
Thoughts?
nambujim

Re: Remington Model 14 issue

Post by nambujim »

I'm going to just "throw" this out there but MANY of these purchased from online dealers have problems, just like used cars they are sold because they have problems. I would like the serial for our data base, in exchange will address your problem.

It is either the sear lock, sear, or trigger. They redesigned the sear lock 3-4 times, at least twice by the time your gun was made. I would look at the trigger to see whether or not a previous owner filed it down to improve the trigger pull. If the lower end of the sear that makes contact with the trigger and/or the trigger doesn't look messed with then it may well be the sear lock or just worn metal.

I will again repeat what I have been saying for years is that the guns in this serial range are VERY parts specific in that they were hand assembled, hand fit, and those parts are unique to this rifle. A repair would require a lot of time, knowledge, and the correct replacement parts. 99.8% of all gunsmiths out there have never seen one of these rifles.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
4570GOVT

Post by 4570GOVT »

Thanks Jim,
I was hoping for your reply. I tried the last email I had for you to contact you directly and it bounced back. Since it was from 2013 that is understandable. I gave you the data for this rifle back then when I was discussing a feed issue for another rifle that I have. I have had this particular rifle for 35 years and before that it came from a family friend who moved to New England from Florida. I had two incidents with it firing on its own, once while function testing ammo and after cycling multiple rounds through it without resetting the trigger it discharged. The second time, some years later while target shooting, it fired when I closed the action. I was fired before and after with no other issues but I am trying to solve the problem before it appears again.
Thanks
Bill
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I no longer do repairs, too annoying, and few are willing to pay the real cost of repairs.

I will only say this, 85% of all load, feed, fire, and eject problems are directly related to reloaded or mediocre after-market ammunition. If you are having this problem with actual W-W or R-P/Peters factory ammunition then the problem is with the areas I described in my initial response.

Yeah, can see where you are coming from in that its going "boom" at inappropriate times poses a danger. If its not the ammo then check to see whether the top of the trigger and/or bottom of the sear have been tampered with (filed down). If those look to be intact it could very well be a worn or faulty "sear lock". It of course could be the end of the sear that makes contact with the sear lock is faulty or worn.

Good luck!

Jim
Jim Peterson
4570GOVT

Post by 4570GOVT »

Jim,
Thanks for the response. I don't believe it is an ammo issue so I will look into any wear issues. I have not noticed any signs of filing or reshaping on the bearing surfaces.
Are you aware of anyone else brave enough to work on these rifles? I would prefer to make it reliable rather than retire it. I am at a point where I am trying to repair issues like this rather than buying new stuff.
Thanks again,
Bill Krauss
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Give me the serial again, maybe I have a bolt in that serial range you could try, and let me know whether yours has the hook/lever safety.

Jim
Jim Peterson
4570GOVT

Post by 4570GOVT »

The number is 64626 and it does not have hook/safety lever. I have a question about a 14 1/2 that I have. The serial number 30878 which would indicate a 1914 birthday but it has the hook/safety lever which does not appear until later if the Model14/141 book is correct. I saw that they documented 14 1/2s with similar serial numbers in the late 20s. Any way to pin a date of manufacture down?
Bill
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Funny, I have bolt 64120 and it will cock but won't fire at all. I do have 62647, 62648, and 68698.................all .30 cal or .25 or .32. All in excellent condition, God only knows if they will even fit into your action but if you want to try one I'll send it to you.

There are more than just a few guns in the 30,000 serial range that have the hook/lever safety and in some cases upgrades that were not seen until the 30's. Simply put, Remington probably found the frames lying around and assembled them. We probably have at least 15 in our data base with several being 14-1/2's. Hope that helps, you might check the barrel to see if it has a barrel code, it could be, and sometimes the code is way on the underside and barely visible.

If you want to try the bolt you will have to send me your address. My new email address is the same as before but ending in @charlotte.twcbc.com.

You are a lot of trouble!

Jim
Jim Peterson
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

For those watching this, sent a complete bolt with a very close serial, and it worked like a champ.............yea! Doesn't usually work out that way but it did prove at least that it was the sear lock or a worn sear, neither had been tampered with. Happy ending, the rifle now works as it should.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Eddie Southgate

Post by Eddie Southgate »

You are a good man Jim . Wish you were in to 25's :mrgreen: !
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I thank you, try my best but Model 14's are a can of worms, and sometimes it just doesn't work out. With respect to the Model 25 (one of the neatest rifles ever made) I took one of mine apart maybe 30-35 years ago and after several hours managed to get it all back together and through some miracle it worked! I swore never to take one apart again, never have, and over the years sold mine off.

The problem is that 25's are more complex than 14's and so few were made that parts are near impossible to find. My advice to anyone buying one is to make sure it functions in all respects!!! Buying them without an inspection period is foolish and buying them at a "gun show" lacks judgment!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson