Remington model 141 help needed

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
antnyg23

Remington model 141 help needed

Post by antnyg23 »

I just inherited my grandfathers .35 Remington model 141. The button to release the pump does not work. When I got it the action was open. I closed it while I was looking at the gun and now it won’t open. I push the release button it feels like a spring or something broke inside. Anybody know anything about this?
antnyg23

Re: Remington model 141 help needed

Post by antnyg23 »

Here’s a picture of what I am talking about.
Attachments
Picture
Picture
image.jpg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 3163 times
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

You are correct in that something broke inside, probably the action bar lock which is spring loaded by a spring/plunger in the bottom of the firing pin. Sometimes the arm that reaches up to activate the button release will break off, this seems to happen more on the later Model 141's. It could be something else, hard to determine because the bolt on these things is pretty damn complex (21 parts). The action bar lock can be replaced without fully stripping the bolt BUT these guns (even the 141's) are parts specific in that one action bar lock is not always identical to another.

The repair requires that the bolt be removed from the rifle, a single ping holds the action bar lock in place, the action bar lock holds the spring/plunger in place so it will pop out when the action bar lock is removed. Essentially its easy once you've done it 100 times. Its a whole lot easier than removing the sear because that pin is "pressed" into place.

That is my opinion!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Forgot to add, turn the rifle upside down and shake it, and see if it will release. Believe it or not, this works more often than you might think.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
antnyg23

Post by antnyg23 »

Jim is this something you can fix if I send the rifle to you? My email is antnyg23@aol.com my phone # is 352-425-6894
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I have been doing repairs on these guns only for over 40 years and quite honestly I'm just tired of it. They are annoying, people are not willing to pay for the actual time involved, waiting for a delivery, unpacking, repacking, and going to the post office is just too much. I will email you, if you are able to get the bolt out, and that is the problem you can mail it to me for a fix.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I know you're getting ready to pack it up and send it to me but try one more little thing before you do so. Check to see if the screw or screws from the scope mount aren't binding with the top of the bolt. I've seen this more than just a few times where the bolt will go forward under the screws but not back out. Something to try before sending it off, probably not the problem but worth a try.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson