Confusion in Dating 572 Fieldmaster

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
bls4321

Confusion in Dating 572 Fieldmaster

Post by bls4321 »

I am trying to date a 572 and have not been able to narrow down the production date. The year date code is "I" which make it either 76, 88, or 2014. When I look at what I find for history or modifications over the years I am not able to rule out some of those date. Here are some of the key features. It is a BDL , 24", stamped checkering, and no Monte Carlo stock. The serial number is in the 1,900,000 range. As I look at the above features and how they came and went in the model years the gun is a fit to all three years. The gun has come from a serious collector who only had pristine guns so I can't rule out it being a 76 by overall condition. What am I missing? What else should I look at? Help would be appreciated.
Wulfman

Re: Confusion in Dating 572 Fieldmaster

Post by Wulfman »

bls4321 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:46 am I am trying to date a 572 and have not been able to narrow down the production date. The year date code is "I" which make it either 76, 88, or 2014. When I look at what I find for history or modifications over the years I am not able to rule out some of those date. Here are some of the key features. It is a BDL , 24", stamped checkering, and no Monte Carlo stock. The serial number is in the 1,900,000 range. As I look at the above features and how they came and went in the model years the gun is a fit to all three years. The gun has come from a serious collector who only had pristine guns so I can't rule out it being a 76 by overall condition. What am I missing? What else should I look at? Help would be appreciated.
You can eliminate the dates after about 1980 because (as far as I know) they quit making the 24" barrel after that year.......from then on they were 20" barrels.

From your description, I would say 1976.

Den

600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

What Den said. 1978 for the "standard" barrel to drop to 21 inches. Before that there was the 2 lengths; the shorter called a "carbine". Now the carbine length is full length.
Confused yet? Also, the serial number should begin with A, not?.

People call the 600 centrefire series "carbines" but in my humble opinion, unless there was a longer barrel option, they are just rifles. The 700s in standard calibres for the first few years were 20". They are called carbines all the time, technically, incorrect-but I'm way off topic now! Take care and have fun shooting it!!
bls4321

Post by bls4321 »

Thank you guys very much. That barrel length change date was the piece I was missing. Thanks again.
Brian