Finish Used on Remington 721/722 Standard Rifles

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
usabaker

Finish Used on Remington 721/722 Standard Rifles

Post by usabaker »

The finish on the bottom of the stock, where a hand would ride while hunting, on the 1948 Remington 721 I bought is worn off. I want to touch-up this area to keep the wood from getting further ware from missing finish.

Using Acidtone to test the finish it looks as though the finish used by the factory is lacquer. Can anyone confirm that lacquer was the original finished used on these rifles in the factory?

Thank you in advance,
Bill
nambujim

Re: Finish Used on Remington 721/722 Standard Rifles

Post by nambujim »

Yes, Lacquer was used supplied by a DuPont plant in Chicago. Used to know the code number for it but it doesn't matter, the product used is no longer made and in fact that plant has long been closed.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
usabaker

Post by usabaker »

nambujim wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:07 pm Yes, Lacquer was used supplied by a DuPont plant in Chicago.
Jim, Thank you for the assistance. Since it is lacquer I am going to try and reflow the existing lacquer into the worn areas. From what I have a test on a damaged Remington 512 stock, which seems to be the same finish, it looks like DEFT might be compatible with the existing DuPont lacquer should the reflow need a little addition.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

DuPont supplied the wood filler, stain, & topcoat from the early 30's until they parted company with Remington. The lacquer was nitrocellulose base, the nitrocellulose supplied by DuPont's Seneca, IL explosives plant which of course is now long gone. I doubt there is any direct substitute today.

OH.....the alternate or backup source of lacquer came from the DuPont finishes plant in Philadelphia also now closed.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
usabaker

Post by usabaker »

nambujim wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:23 pm The lacquer was nitrocellulose base, ... I doubt there is any direct substitute today.
DEFT has a nitrocellulose base which gives me a fighting chance. The last thing I want to do to this stock is refinish it, but it will continue to deteriorate unless I do something :)
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Roger that, hope my info was helpful, and good luck!

Jim
Jim Peterson
usabaker

Post by usabaker »

Jim, The advice, knowledge, and historical information is ALWAY helpful. I can't thank you enough for all your efforts and support.