141 32 Cal. 4 Digit Serial # Date

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
NMNFH

141 32 Cal. 4 Digit Serial # Date

Post by NMNFH »

Hi All, I am new to RSA and I am looking for some information on my model 141 32 cal. It has a 4 digit serial number and has the XE date stamp on the left side of the barrel. The serial number is 87XX. Is this one of the first 32 cal. made? Also what should the barrel lenght be. Mine is approximately 23 1/2 inches. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks
nambujim

Re: 141 32 Cal. 4 Digit Serial # Date

Post by nambujim »

Your rifle dates to December 1936 and you have a 24" barrel. An old friend told me the best way to measure your barrel was to close the bolt, drop a cleaning rod down until it hit the bolt face, and then measure the amount of rod.

Be nice if you gave the full serial unless its some sort of a national secret but we know that Remington started numbering the Model 141 with serial 1001 so yours is pretty early. Its my very strong opinion that the early guns were the very best, hope yours isn't drilled all to hell, and someone didn't stick a recoil pad on it. My new formula for putting a value on guns with bonus holes and recoil pads is that you deduct $40 per hole and $150 for a recoil pad. If both the barrel and frame have been drilled and you have a recoil pad, its classified as a parts gun............lol.

They were making the Model 14 in 1912 using the .32 Remington which is a rimless version of the .32 Winchester Special, loading/bullet information is identical.

Enjoy your rifle, hope the above info helps!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
NMNFH

Post by NMNFH »

Thanks Jim for the information. The serial number is 8760. Sorry about that. It hasn't been drilled and no recoil pad. I like the information on measuring the barrel too. Again, I appreciate the information. It is helpful.
Best Regards
Frank
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Roger that, seems to be my job passing this info on.

We'll add your serial to the data base.

When reloading, use an old factory round to set your dies, use ONLY round nose bullets, and always use a factory crimp die. I prefer IMR powders but beware of some of this new after market brass.......it sucks.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson