Model 14 & 141 Action Bars

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
nwilson

Model 14 & 141 Action Bars

Post by nwilson »

New to the forum with a question I haven't found an answer for yet.
I have a 141 (.30 Rem) with a broken tab on the action bar cover. I can't locate a replacement cover (straight surface with a "bedding" groove) but I can find one for a 14 (deep recess at one end). Here's the question....Can I swap out my action bar for one from a 14 that will accept the model 14 cover without any issues?
Thank you for any and all input and advice!
nambujim

Re: Model 14 & 141 Action Bars

Post by nambujim »

The action bar cover is the most broken part on the 14/141 and has become the most expensive to replace. There is one listed right now on Ebay for a Model 14 but its actually for a 141, the bad news is that they are asking $185 for it plus postage. I have found that It is "almost" impossible to weld the tab back on once it breaks off.

No, action bar covers for the 14 will not readily fit a 141, those for the 141 have the indentation running the length of the cover to compensate for the thicker barrel. You can try to machine a groove into a smooth 14 cover and try to make it work but finding one of those to work with will be a chore as well..........and expensive.

The early Model 14 action bar covers with the large indentation near the flange (tab) will only work on guns with serials under 25,000 at which time they re-designed the action bar itself and went to the smooth action bar cover.

The last three (3) action bar covers for the 141 that I sold were priced at $158 plus $9 postage. Been doing repairs on these rifles for 40 years and know of no after market replacement, rather just a bunch of guys from time to time that think they can "mill" a cover to fit, problem is that a milled cover won't flex and using new steel would tear apart the action bar itself. Bottom line is the only way these things show up is from parts guns.

OH, its worth mentioning that on "late" Model 141's, 65,000 serial and up they dimpled the underside of the cover, dimpled so hard that it left an impression on the underside of the barrel, and making the cover useless for any other 141. Hope all this helps!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
nwilson

Post by nwilson »

Jim,
Thank you for the detailed reply!
The one question remaining is, could a 14 action bar be retrofitted to a 141 so the "dimpled" cover could be used?
Thanks again
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Thought I answered that!

The early Model 14 action bar cover cannot be used on a Model 141.

The later (smooth) Model 14 action bar cover could possibly be grooved to fit a 141 but it would take lot of work with less than a 50% chance of success.

Those action bar covers from late 141's are simply awful, its the same cover they used on all the other 141's but for some reason they started "dimpling" them.............I see no reason for it. Some of these action bar covers will have no dimples, some just one or two but I have seen one that had seven. It took me hours with a Dremel tool over a 3-4 month period to get all the damn dimples out AND still it would not work on another 141. I actually ended up using it on a Model 14.

What is the serial of your rifle! Here is my breakdown of 141 quality.

1001-25,000.............the very best
25,000-35,000...........really good with few problems.
35,000-45,000...........still pretty good but things are starting to change.
45,000-50,000...........more than acceptable.
50,000-55,000...........acceptable
55,000-65,000...........shows heavy milling marks, poor metal/metal fit.
65,000-70,000...........heavier milling marks, bad metal/metal fit
70,000 & up ...........run away as fast as you can!

The metal/metal fit is so bad on some rifles that in order to separate the upper/lower receiver you need to remove the stock and beat the two apart with a dead blow hammer. This is "mainly" caused by a bad milling problem on the front of the trigger guard assembly. An hour or so with a Dremel Tool sanding drum you can improve the fit.

...............and yeah, yeah, yeah someone reading this has a late serial 141 says his works just fine, and I'm sure it does. I'm talking overall quality and something changed after the war, maybe the old guys retired, and the new guys returning from the war were just trying to get the stuff out the door.

Good Luck!

Jim Peterson
Hot, nasty, and humid in Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
nwilson

Post by nwilson »

Jim,
Thank you again for your detailed response! As to serial number, mine is a 556**.
Somehow I'm not getting my real question across. What I'm asking is if the ACTION BAR not just the cover from a 14 can be installed in a 141 thereby allowing the use of an available 14 cover on my rifle.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

OK..............absolutely NOT, the bar is of a different design, the bolt is of a different design, and there are differences in the trigger group. Even late 14 action bars which are of a similar design won't fit and your rifle is in a range
where even parts in the same serial range are iffy at best.

Jim...........and I am not responsible for the advertising that appeared in my previous responses, must be part of the new website being used.
Jim Peterson
nwilson

Post by nwilson »

If anyone needs an action bar cover for a model 14 I have one I will sell for $75 including shipping to the Lower 48 states!
IMG_4388.JPG
IMG_4388.JPG (2.42 MiB) Viewed 2187 times
IMG_4387.JPG
IMG_4387.JPG (2.36 MiB) Viewed 2187 times
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

This is a "classic" example of Ebay and other sites listing items for 14-141 because they don't know any difference and in this case they buyer didn't know the difference. I just went down the Ebay listings for the Model 141 and fully 60%++ would not fit a 141, same is true for the listings for the Model 14.

The actual action bar that fit this rifle was listed as fitting the Model 14 for $185. I have the feeling Mr. Wilson thought he got a good deal on this 141 but if the action bar is messed up then you are VERY likely to have other problems............buyer beware, many of the guns listed on Gunbroker are overpriced do-it-yourself kits and few have the knowledge to correct the problems and almost no one has the specific/needed parts. For this buyer the "quest" to make this rifle function properly has just started.

..............and you're welcome since I told you specifically what you needed and where to get it. The cover you are trying to sell will fit Model 14's with serial 25,000 and below.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
nwilson

Post by nwilson »

Jim,
Thank you again for the most informative post!
I've had my 141 about 25 yrs (when you could still buy new ammo!) and though I haven't shot thousands of rounds through it, it's always performed fine until a couple weeks ago. I had a feed issue and discovered the broken tab on the cover.
Last week I found a correct cover (Not EBay or Gunbroker) which should be arriving this week. Hopefully I'll have my 141 back in working condition soon for a reasonable price too!
It has no special significance to me but I like shooting guns that not everyone has.