Model 14 Saddle Ring Carbines

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Ted

Model 14 Saddle Ring Carbines

Post by Ted »

Just wondering what the experts think of M14 SRC’s, legitimate or not? Over the years I’ve seen a few, but at times there seems to be some variation(s) of where they are mounted on the receiver. As I recall, some have a screw in stud similar to that found on Winchester Model 1894’s and others have a pressed in staple similar to those found on Winchester Model 1892’s.
Factory or not?
nambujim

Re: Model 14 Saddle Ring Carbines

Post by nambujim »

ALL Remington SRC's and there are even a few rifles have the screw in stud which is similar but not identical to the Winchester stud. Unlike Winchester, virtually all Remington SRC's have a retaining pin that prevents the stud from rotating. I have seen a few late SRC's without the pin that I believe to be genuine because of the design/age of the stud & the unusual thread size used by Remington.

This is a subject you could probably talk to death but I remember a few years back when Tom Hemphill, Ken Blauch, and I had our last meeting together before Ken passed away. We agreed that when it came to Model 14 SRC's, if it doesn't have the retaining "pin", beware!!!......and buy from someone you trust.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Ted

Post by Ted »

Jim,
Appreciate the info.
Is the retaining pin readily visible? Do you have a pic of a src that illustrates what the retaining pin looks like and/or where it’s located. If not, could you describe the retaining pin and its’ location.
TY
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

The pin is usually milled flush with the stud but visible and its visible from the inside of the frame as well. I'm too lazy and a little behind on repairs to a couple of 14's with feed problems caused by "Graf" Brass to be taking pictures. You posed the question, it has been answered.

Keep in mind what I said about a few late guns having legit studs but no pin.
Have no doubt that at some point after production ended the factory made a couple from left over parts (to again quote Ken Blauch, "Remington never threw anything away". Even after manufacture of the 14 ceased you could send a rifle in and have one installed but there would be a build/repair code showing it was returned to the factory for repair. Last but maybe not least is the employee that put one together for his own use. Being a "name dropper" this was something Tom Hemphill told me about while helping him build up the Model 14/141 data base. Back then employees could and did a lot of things that modern day production wouldn't allow.

Enuff!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Ted

Post by Ted »

Thank you Jim, I know what to look for. Greatly appreciated.