Model 25 in 25-20 on the way !

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Eddie Southgate

Model 25 in 25-20 on the way !

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Won a 25 on an auction the other night and shipper say's it will be delivered on Monday . Very used rifle but supposed to be in good mechanical condition with a good bore . I am a shooter not a collector and want it cleaned and checked out and was wondering if anyone knows of a person in the North Alabama / Middle Tennessee area that they would trust to do this ? It's been said on this board that they are very hard to work on and even to assemble once they are apart so I don't think I want to tackle the job myself . This will be my new woods walking rifle if it runs right and shoots good . Was lucky enough to buy the last two boxes of Remington ammo that my local dealer had . It was on clearance originally marked at $65 per box and was marked down to $45 per box . Thanks for any help you can give .

Eddie Southgate
Minor Hill Tennessee
Wulfman

Re: Model 25 in 25-20 on the way !

Post by Wulfman »

Eddie Southgate wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:31 am Won a 25 on an auction the other night and shipper say's it will be delivered on Monday . Very used rifle but supposed to be in good mechanical condition with a good bore . I am a shooter not a collector and want it cleaned and checked out and was wondering if anyone knows of a person in the North Alabama / Middle Tennessee area that they would trust to do this ? It's been said on this board that they are very hard to work on and even to assemble once they are apart so I don't think I want to tackle the job myself . This will be my new woods walking rifle if it runs right and shoots good . Was lucky enough to buy the last two boxes of Remington ammo that my local dealer had . It was on clearance originally marked at $65 per box and was marked down to $45 per box . Thanks for any help you can give .

Eddie Southgate
Minor Hill Tennessee
Download the manual from this link:

https://www.remington.com/support/owners-manuals

My advice would be.......other than loosening the thumbscrew and squirting a little WD-40 on the moving parts.......to leave it alone. Run a ramrod (brush and/or patch) down the barrel and call it "good to go". If YOU are not comfortable with working on these rifles, DON'T go any further than that. I've seen so many people posting on here that they've taken something apart and then couldn't get it back together in a working manner. I've owned one of the Model 25s in 25-20 since 1992 and have never taken it apart. I've also reloaded all of my centerfire ammunition (shotgun and rifle) since about 1968.

You have been warned.

Den

vr1967

Post by vr1967 »

Eddie Southgate wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:31 am Won a 25 on an auction the other night and shipper say's it will be delivered on Monday . Very used rifle but supposed to be in good mechanical condition with a good bore . I am a shooter not a collector and want it cleaned and checked out and was wondering if anyone knows of a person in the North Alabama / Middle Tennessee area that they would trust to do this ? It's been said on this board that they are very hard to work on and even to assemble once they are apart so I don't think I want to tackle the job myself . This will be my new woods walking rifle if it runs right and shoots good . Was lucky enough to buy the last two boxes of Remington ammo that my local dealer had . It was on clearance originally marked at $65 per box and was marked down to $45 per box . Thanks for any help you can give .

Eddie Southgate
Minor Hill Tennessee
Mr Southgate,

I can’t help with the gunsmith, but noticed where you from. I get to Giles (and Lawrence) County quite a bit. Almost bought a place in Minor Hill, and still trying after one in Fall River.

I don’t have a 25-20 but do have a few 32-20s, I may bring up and we can shoot a bit.

Respectfully
Virgil Roberts
Liberty, Miss
Eddie Southgate

Virgil,

Sounds like a winner . I work 6:00 - 2:30 mostly 6 days a week but am in Minor Hill by 3:00 and could meet you there . My shooting place is not far but is looking kinda rough right now due to my son and one of his friend doing some logging but we can still shoot some , no fancy targets like on youtube but I plan on fixing a real range after the roads get back to normal . They had the skidder in there in the rain the last three days they were there so I got big ruts .
Last edited by Eddie Southgate on Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie Southgate

Gonna need to fix a crack in the stock so I will probably pull all the wood and make me a soak tube out of pvc and soak the whole rifle in 50/50 atf and kerosene then oil it good . I am not gonna take it apart past using the takedown feature . If Jim won't work on them I sure ain't gonna try . I only gave $425 and the ride for it but it's not drilled or molested in any way , just needs an adjuster for the rear sight . I have the Marbles and Lyman factory type rear aperture sights for my 141 and will try to find one of these for this rifle at a price I can afford . They aint cheap .
Eddie Southgate

Well,,,,,,I got it . Won't feed from the magazine . Loaded three and the first did not lift up all the way to chamber so I had to take it down and remove the bolt and fish the rounds out with a pocketknife . Maybe soaking will help , we will see , if not I will be seeking an old gunsmith with some experience with these rifles . Single loaded a few and it fires , extracts and has a strong ejector . Will be a good shooter if I can get the feed sorted and find a rear sight and elevator. Don't like the rear sight at all and I think it has been modded a good bit . Can't tell if the AA is part of the sn but the rest is 9847 ,has a REP in an oval and a C on the loading side of the barrel. There appears to be two small pointy markes in front of the REP but I can not tell what they are.