In need of a Marbles R11 tang sight for a Model 25

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
model81

In need of a Marbles R11 tang sight for a Model 25

Post by model81 »

Hello all. I am looking for a Marbles R11 tang sight for my Model 25. It had one on it, can tell by the marks on the back of the receiver and the stock. Anyone know of one for sale? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
nambujim

Re: In need of a Marbles R11 tang sight for a Model 25

Post by nambujim »

Tang sights for the Model 12 & 25 have become very costly but they are the
same frame and interchangeable. There were a LOT more tang sights made for the Model 12 which I think is the Marble R7 so my suggestion is for you to use one of those.

I can only assume your stock has the screw hole in the wood for the Marble sight, the Lyman version not being as long did NOT have the wood screw at the lower end. Hope this helps.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Tomygun1

Post by Tomygun1 »

Hello model81,

I recently bought a collector M-25 missing the Marbles tang sight also, and after study found that replacing it was not going to be as easy as I thought. Turns out the R-11 sight has a 21/2” hole to hole measurement to the stock hole exclusive to this sight. If the Marbles sight previously mounted on your rifle was an R-7 for the M-12/121 then it will be 3/16” shorter than this and this sight will solve your problem and your task will be easy as these are common. But if it measures 21/2” you have a problem as it originally had the correct sight, the R-11, measuring 2 1/2” that the R-7 sight will not cover up. If so you must have the R-11 sight.

Eventually I found an auction of a similar rifle in lesser condition with a near perfect R-11 sight in place and there were no bids. I offered the seller $200 for the sight and he pulled the auction and sold the sight to me. Wheew, that was a close one but I learned something and overpaid for what I had to have.!

Hope you have better luck

Tomygun1
Eddie Southgate

Post by Eddie Southgate »

nambujim wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:27 pm Tang sights for the Model 12 & 25 have become very costly but they are the
same frame and interchangeable. There were a LOT more tang sights made for the Model 12 which I think is the Marble R7 so my suggestion is for you to use one of those.

I can only assume your stock has the screw hole in the wood for the Marble sight, the Lyman version not being as long did NOT have the wood screw at the lower end. Hope this helps.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim,
I'm looking for one of the type sights that use only the two holes on the receiver and do not extend back over the stock . Looks like a regular receiver sight but does not bolt onto the side or require any extra holes . Have seen one mounted on a gun in pictures only but am not sure of the maker or model no . Apparently they were made for the 141 as well as the 25 . Any ideas ?

Eddie
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Yeah, its a Redfield 102, and they are super bloody rare. The same one fits both the Model 12 & 25 and they made one that fit the 14/141 which you see a bit more often. It by far is the best sight for these rifles and of course is adjustable for both elevation and windage.

In my 45 years of working with these rifles I think I may have seen six fir the Model 12/25, found one at a gun show in 2002 and found a base on the internet about 10 years ago. The sight for the 14/141 was the 102BX which is listed in a 1952 catalog but they did not list the one for the M12/25 so it had probably been discontinued by then or they ran out of stock.

Hope this helps, good luck in your search.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I knew I had the info on the sight you wanted, just had to find it, Its the Redfield 102 T.

The entire 102 line was discontinued in 1964 but have the feeling they ran out of inventory for both the 102T and 102BX long before that because the 102T was not in the their 1952 Catalog.\

Hey, at least you know what you're looking for.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Eddie Southgate

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Thanks Jim . Last one I saw was on a 141 rifle on GB . It had this sight mounted , a Weaver scope mounted , the box for the sight and either the Marbles or Lyman sight in it's box . Price was too high just to get the sight and I didn't really want the drilled rifle . Guess I should have bought it and sold what I didn't want as separate items . Probably could have got 75% of my money back .
colesahme

Post by colesahme »

i have a marbles r11 tang sight.........does not have the mounting screws