Cartridge Stop Removal—Model 14

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Swede49

Cartridge Stop Removal—Model 14

Post by Swede49 »

My newly acquired Model 14 “C” 94XXX 1926, .35Rem., is filthy internally so I disassembled. All went OK until I got to the part where the Cartridge Stop is supposed to “fall out.” Didn’t happen and I can’t get it out. Reassembled rifle and it functions as it should. WTH?

Any advice/techniques about how to get this part are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
nambujim

Re: Cartridge Stop Removal—Model 14

Post by nambujim »

Yep, you have to get at it through the back/underside of the frame with a narrow long blade screwdriver and tap it out.................it is a total bitch and even after you have done it 30-40 times it is still a "bitch" but good eyes
with good lighting help. You need to ID the backside of the stop where its
exposed inside the frame first...........good luck with that!

Between being in a difficult place and the action bar getting in the way
it is rather annoying. Some of the stops had holes drilled through the bottom and you could "sort" of get a grip on it but that old dried oil mixed with burnt powder and other good stuff can really cement it into place.

Early on I tried soaking them with everything from toluene to WD40 but in the end mechanically removing them worked best.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Swede49

Post by Swede49 »

Thanks. The stop on my rifle does have a hole in it. If I remove it how tough is it to get it I back in?
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Once you get it and the slot all cleaned up it should easily slide in/out.

I clean my stops on a fine wire wheel and the slot with a .17 caliber brush.

There is also the possibility that there is a burr on the edge of the frame but rather doubt it. You can send it to me and for $60 I'll remove the stop, polish it, and have it back to you in 24 hours. If that doesn't encourage you to do it yourself..............nothing will. It is stuff like this with the Model 14's that keep me in business.

None of this is hard but it is difficult/annoying.

Keep in mind that the stop is matched to your rifle and even
in your serial range each gun was "parts specific" meaning the bolt, carrier, action bar, and stop were "fit" to that particular rifle.

OK.................too much information but its free unless you want to
make a donation..............lol.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Swede49

Post by Swede49 »

Thank you again. That’s good info. I’ll see if I can do it.

Cheers, Lars