Remington 141

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Overdrawn

Remington 141

Post by Overdrawn »

Can anyone help with information about a Remington 141 35 Remington rifle. I'm confused, the word Gamemaster isn't stamped on the receiver, 141 is stamped on the left side of the receiver with the serial #2926. There is a front dovetail sight on the 22" barrel with R E stamped on the left side. The barrel address has Remington arms with some patent dates, I would assume the rifle was made Nov. 1936. But Remington 141 serial #'s start at 11,469 in 1936, the barrel code says it was made November 1936, even if this was a transition model 14/141 the information says they ended production March 1936. Does anyone have an answer for this.
nambujim

Re: Remington 141

Post by nambujim »

The first 4,000 Model 141's did not have Gamemaster on the side and
utilized left over Model 14 barrels. After serial 4,000 they had the Gamemaster name and went to the heavier 24" barrel. Basically that is your answer, your version is a bit more rare that the later rifles, and in my opinion they are better looking along with being the best made 141's.

I might add that Tom Hemphill and I (we of course consider ourselves
the world authority noting it takes two of us to replace Ken Blauch) feel
that Remington serials for the 141 start at 1001. We have been accumulating serial number information for about twenty years and have yet to find a three digit serial.

Hope this helps!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte NC
Jim Peterson
Wolfgang1964

Post by Wolfgang1964 »

I saw your comments about the Remington 141 that isn't stamped Gamemaster, but is stamped 141.

My grandfather's rifle that he left me isn't even stamped 141. The barrel stamp shows 25 Rem with a K stamp indicating a 1940 year. I thought it was actually a Model 25 until I did a bunch of research this morning to find that it is actually a 141, thanks to the twisted magazine tube. There is nothing on either side of the receiver (completely smooth) and the headstamp at the front of the receiver on the left side says "UMC U 25REM". The end of the magazine tube is stamped "PATD NOV. 6, 1912". The serial number at the front underside of the receiver is "13976" with a "C" stamped over that. On the underside of the receiver, behind the trigger guard and safety selector, is a round stamp that says "REMINGTON UMC TRADE MARK". there are no other stamps or markings on the whole rifle. Might you know any reason why this rifle is not marked with the Model 141 or Gamemaster stamps? I have images to load to show these marks, but couldn't figure out how to get them in this post.

I actually found a box of Remington Kleanbore 25 Express ammo for it, but at $98 for 20rds ($4.90 per round), I think I'll just keep this as a mantle decoration.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

It isn't stamped on the side because its a Model 14 made in 1913.

Probably a lot of modifications were made to it over the years and if it
has a 1940 barrel stamp it's because it was probably returned to the
factory for repairs. "The "C" over the serial actually is to identify the
"frame size", this was discontinued late in Model 14 production when
they moved the serial to the side of the frame.........about serial 95,000.

Hope that helps, you have a very neat 107 year old rifle.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson