Model 25 forearm dimensions.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
dandak

Model 25 forearm dimensions.

Post by dandak »

Picked up a Remington Model 25 pump in 25-20. It seems sometime in the past Bubba got a hold of it and did his 'customizing' of the wood. I am currently making a new buttstock for it, and need to make the fore arm also. What I need are the dimensions of the fore arm since Bubba removed so much wood. Best I can figure is the diameter of the wood near the receiver is 1.23", total length is 6.3". Photos online show 10 grooves (9, then the screw, then 1 groove). I dont have much time to work on this but can spare an hour or two every once in awhile. Can anybody out there that has a Model 25 and a set of dial calipers measure the largest diameter of their fore arm, the total length, and tell me if all Model 25s had 10 groove forearms? Serial is in the 6000 range. Thanks in advance.
billt

Re: Model 25 forearm dimensions.

Post by billt »

Hi,
I have four model 25's and all have 10 grooves. I measured the diameter of the groove closest to the receiver with a set of calipers and the average of the four was 1.329 inches. Since my calipers only go to six inches I had to measure the length with a straight ruler. All four measured 6 and 7/16 inches.

Bill
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

You do know that the 12 & 25 use the same wood with minor fitting!

Original Model 12 wood can readily be found, just thought I would mention
it.............both guns have the same frame.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
dandak

Post by dandak »

Thank you Bill and Jim. Hopefully I can fire up the lathe soon and get busy. I figured it was the same as the Model 12 (except perhaps the thru hole for the mag tube), but as I only paid $60 for the gun I didnt feel right putting $50 plus shipping for the forearms I see on eBay! Since I have to make a buttstock anyway.... may as well make the forearm. I actually have a Model 12 buttstock in my parts box and it fits too but it is straight grip and I want the half pistol grip as on the original. Thanks again.
PS I have a Model 14 tang sight in my parts box too....will that work on the 25???
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

The hole spacing for the R14 is just a bit wide, probably should use an R12 or R25 but they are costly. I have actually used an R12 on a Model 14 but would hate to see you damage a good sight by messing with the R14.

You would enhance the value significantly by using Remington wood!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson