512 Sportsmaster

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
722-257

512 Sportsmaster

Post by 722-257 »

This gem is in 85+% condition with a pristine bore , but has a little bit of play where the bolt handle is pinned into the locking lug sleeve portion of the bolt body( just enough to wiggle ) . Any body else encounter this , and could it be tightened up by using a punch and hammer to repeen the pin ? I could just try it I guess but I don't want to make it worse in the process. Iv'e seen these in worse condition offered for near $200.00 dollars (on line) and couldn't pass it up for the $50.00 they were asking on the rack at one of my local haunts.

722-257
chucha

Post by chucha »

Before you give it a whack you might want to go to >remington.com< and go to the parts section and check on the list of obsolete parts dealers. Would be nice to have a new pin and try it before the "whacking" begins.

cha :D

Also, the Remington part number for the bolt sleeve pin is 17922 and it used to sell for 25 cents. Lots of luck, I just paid 20 bucks for a model 81 magazine spring that used to sell for 50 cents! And I still can't find a follower which was listed at 85 cents and I am sure I will be paying 20 bucks for when and if I do find one!
722-257

Thanks Chucha

Post by 722-257 »

I have found a few sources for parts , and if I can't live with the wiggle (My anality probably won't let me.) and repinning doesn't succeed , I will probably buy a new boltsleeve -handle assembly. I don't see how the current pin can be taken out though, as the hole it is in does not go all the way through ,so how do you drive it out?

722-257