Model 14 / 141 After Market Ammo / BULLETIN #14

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
nambujim

Model 14 / 141 After Market Ammo / BULLETIN #14

Post by nambujim »

Ever since Remington ceased manufacture of new 30 Remington brass, the available market for dependable high quality after market cartridges went nuts. Just about everybody started making brass for the .25, .30, and .32 Remington, almost all of which was (in my opinion) sub-standard.

The best and most dependable supplier before the Remington brass cut off was Buffalo Arms, they were also about the only one that recognized there was a difference between loads for the Model 8/81 and the Model 14/141.
That difference was in the bullet itself, you could use a variety of stuff for the 8/81 but ONLY Round Nose bullets work consistently in the 14/141 and
the latter is far more fussy about OACL than the 8/81.

The reason I am making this post is that I'm being bombarded by emails, phone calls, and even snail mail regarding problems with loading. I would estimate that since the first of the year I have had no less than forty (40) calls/emails ALL of which turned out to be problems with after market ammunition. Without mentioning any specific names I have come to the
conclusion that ALL of the new after-market cartridges are mediocre!!!
Buy them and shoot them at your own risk!!!!

I will say this again, when it comes to the Model 14/141 you can ONLY
use Round Nose Jacketed bullets (not cast lead round nose) with any
hope of having your rifle perform with any consistency! This eliminates
most of the after-market people and pretty much leaves Buffalo alone
in the market place. I have NO ties with Buffalo, they don't give me a discount for anything, and all I know is that for years they have produced a decent reloaded product for the Model 14/141. Again, without mentioning names I consider the rest undependable.............the technical name for "undependable" is "crap".

Young/new shooters are particularly easy to sell, they inherited their
dad's or grandfathers 14 or 141 and they grab on to the first ammunition they can find. One of these young guys told me "I bought it because it was the only one that had loading data on the box". One other thing I've noticed is that in their advertising the after market folks will say "has proper headstamp" meaning it says .30 REM or whatever but they don't say who made the stuff but they insinuate its Remington. I understand that in the New America its seems acceptable to stretch the truth a/k/a "lie" but "I" don't have to accept it and until they throw me off this forum I'm doing my best to tell the truth.

My advice which I have been giving for "free" on this forum for some time is that if you just acquired a 14/141 find a box of factory ammunition and see how they work in your rifle, they are out there, they are expensive, and they will work in your rifle. Once you have determined that factory ammo works, you know your rifle is OK, and you can go from there. At the very least you won't be whining about the feed/jamming, you will know the rifle works properly!

Hopefully attached you will find a picture of an original hang tag from
the Model 14 stating specifically "use round nose ammunition only".
Now I have to proof read all of the above which is even more annoying
than typing the whole thing.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Attachments
$_3.JPG
$_3.JPG (44.18 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
Jim Peterson
Jim585

Re: Model 14 / 141 After Market Ammo / BULLETIN #14

Post by Jim585 »

Thanks Jim, you have generously shared your wisdom here over the years. Wish all your "BULLETINS" could be pulled together under one tab in this forum. -Jim
nambujim

Re: Model 14 / 141 After Market Ammo / BULLETIN #14

Post by nambujim »

Thanks, you made my day!

In the last two days I have had two "potential" customers email me
about after-market ammo. Both had experienced loading problems
with 141's using different brands of after-market "stuff". Both found
a box of original factory ammunition and it functioned perfectly. One of
these gents is a fairly well known "gun writer" who knows his stuff but was
ready to send the rifle to me.

I try to share to those who would listen, these rifles are unique, and have
very specific ammunition requirements. Its great that there are folks out there making brass for these rifles but at this time it just doesn't work
consistently so buyer beware.

Jim Peterson
Hiding out in Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson