Model 12D Peerless Grade "Coin Finish"

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Firehawk

Model 12D Peerless Grade "Coin Finish"

Post by Firehawk »

I just acquired a Model 12, serial number 222,036. I contacted Remington's Historical Dept and sent them pictures in an attempt to find out more about this rifle. They responded, "The engraving appears to be factory original for E and F grades. The forearm is not correct for these grades, should be wrap around checkering. This would be more of an E "Expert" or F "Premier" grade, however those grades are so close together in production it is difficult to tell them apart. Also, the coin finished receiver is not factory done. This rifle was manufactured in 1913."

I've seen a handful of other high grade Model 12s and they all had the same engraving of a pair of rabbits on one side and a squirrel on the other, as well as scroll-work on the top and trigger guard, but no two were alike as they allowed their engravers artistic freedom. The owners represented all of them as D "Peerless" Grade. When I questioned their comments, the Historical Department indicated that I might find much better info on this forum than they can provide.

Can anyone give me more info on this rifle, especially the Grade designation and if the coin-finished receiver could possibly be a special order factory option? The rifle appears to be totally orignial in every other respect except that the barrel has been drilled and tapped for a scope mount.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Model 12D Peerless Grade "Coin Finish"

Post by admin »

Pictures required ....
If you need help attaching photo's you can also just email them to me and I will take care of it.
D