92 year old Remington Model 14 brings home the Venison

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
petemacmahon

92 year old Remington Model 14 brings home the Venison

Post by petemacmahon »

Picked this up a little over a year ago off of huntingpa.com forum. Finally spent some time in the field with her. I missed/grazed a doe on Thursday, which proved your never too old to relearn some of the fundamentals of hunting and gun handling. In that encounter, I remembered why you need to take every gun to the range and really "run" it, cause during that missed opportunity, I short stroked the action and my second shot at the missed doe was a click!

But on Friday the 13th, old fashioned still hunting to boot (which I normally never do), as it was starting to drizzle, this doe and I met face to face. I thought I was busted, but she was one of those curios ones that looped back around to see what this thing was. Her last mistake! Felt good to score with such an old rifle, and add to it's history in my own way.
Attachments
Remington_Model14_doe.jpg
Remington_Model14_doe.jpg (4.52 MiB) Viewed 3020 times
CWarmouth

Re: 92 year old Remington Model 14 brings home the Venison

Post by CWarmouth »

Congratulations! I have two model 14s that I have shot several deer with and one of my favorite stories is really similar to yours. Still hunting with my 25 Remington, saw a doe pass 40 yards in front of me, circled back, walked straight towards me, and I shot her at 20 yards. Funny how the situations are so similar. Good times. Congrats again. It's a great feeling.
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

Have exactly the same gun (even the peep sight if I am seeing it right!). I did replace the front post and need to get it zeroed at 50-75 yds for my deer woods. It is a big bucket list item for me to take a deer with it!
Eddie Southgate

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Just got a 141 in .35 and can't wait till next season to make some meat with it . Good looking rifle , Congratulations ! :mrgreen:

Eddie
olskool

Post by olskool »

what caliber is it? is it 25,30,32, or 35,,,,,,,,,,,,
sgtsemo

Post by sgtsemo »

It's great seeing a classic rifle being used for what it should be. Thanks for sharing
petemacmahon

Post by petemacmahon »

olskool,
"what caliber is it? is it 25,30,32, or 35,,,,,,,,,,,,"

Sorry, don't check this forum too often.

It's a 35. I was shooting good old Remington Cor-Lokt 200 grain. While I'm a big fan of Hornady's Lever Evolution ammo for my newer 7600 in 35 Remy, this old gun will get nothing but traditional ammo.

// Pete