Model 141

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Pfd_lt75

Model 141

Post by Pfd_lt75 »

I have a 141 that isn’t cocking every time it is fired and cycled. Any ideas?
Gamemaster32

Re: Model 141

Post by Gamemaster32 »

I had that problem. Left the rifle in the "fired" position during storage thinking it would be good to "rest" tension on the mechanism. The bolt/mechanism was covered inside & out with old lube that was sticky & had turned to "varnish" like so many old arms do. When cycling the action, it would not always stay cocked. Took out the bolt & gave it a good deluge with Gun Scrubber. PERFECTO!

Regardless of what you read on the Internet or the container's label. Do NOT get that cleaner on vintage Remington wood...I know from experience. :(
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

GM32 has the right idea and he left me laughing out loud about Gun Scrubber on the old Remington finish.

Yes, the old oil turns to varnish and can affect the bolt and the trigger
as well. Many times the dried oil is mixed with nicotine if it came from
a smokers house and almost everyone back then smoked. Usually you will see the bright parts like the trigger bushing turn yellow/orange. If the rifle has overdosed on nicotine you can usually smell it, the wood and finish will retain the stink for many years.

You need to remove the lower receiver from the stock using a very long
slotted screwdriver AND then along with the bolt flush them with Gun Scrubber or another suitable spray. After doing that I flush again with WD40, if the residue is really nasty I use Lacquer Thinner.

I might add that both the "Carrier" and the "Carrier Dog Assembly" are
usually coated as well. By the way, I charge $135 to completely clean one of these rifles, and after you pay for a can of Gun Scrubber & WD40 you can see why. The "Carrier" is a problem to clean and can't be done properly unless it's removed from the action bar, the channel in the action bar also should be cleaned.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Pfd_lt75

Post by Pfd_lt75 »

Thanks for the tips. I’ll give it a try and hopefully it’ll work. It’s a beautiful rifle and I really want to use it, but with the way it currently operates I don’t trust it in the event that I need to take a follow up shot.
Thanks,
Dale