FBI Model 81

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Mustang

FBI Model 81

Post by Mustang »

I won a Remington model 81 at auction. Think it is an FBI model...

Mustang

Re: FBI Model 81

Post by Mustang »

I'm interested in finding out, if possible, what route these rifles took to get into the private market.

The FBI is not known for selling off their weapons to the public
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

I finally brought home the rifle and got to look at it more closely.

The rifle displays characteristics of both the early model FBI model 81 ("stacked" model, manufacturer and serial number markings on the receiver, Lyman 41 sight) and the later FBI model 81 (grooves in the barrel jacket, standard rear sight, etc). One theory that I had was that since these are take down rifles, perhaps someone at the FBI had at one time mated a late barrel/forend to an early model receiver and no one had ever corrected it.

Well, scratch that theory...the barrel yoke bears the same serial number as the receiver...

ImageImage

So the mystery continues.

I also noted that the screws on the receiver have been staked. I've not seen that in any other Model 81...even the few FBI model 81's that I've seen

Can anyone identify the numbers stamped on the barrel yoke?

Finally, the barrel code seems to be "NNO". If I'm interpreting this correctly, that would indicate July, of 1944, which seems late for an early FBI model.
olskool

Post by olskool »

you might want to go over to "the great model eight remington society" they will know everything. http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com