Loading Problems Model 14/141 BULLETIN #13

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
nambujim

Loading Problems Model 14/141 BULLETIN #13

Post by nambujim »

I get weary from telling folks just how fussy these rifles are when it comes to the ammunition they use. My first introduction in just how particular they are came from Ken Blauch after I was whining about feed/ejection problems I was experiencing with Western Super-X factory ammunition. Ken advised that the rim thickness of the Western-Winchester stuff was a bit more than the Remington and he had problems with it as well AND this was factory ammunition.

You have no idea how many rifles I repair only to have the owner call and
tell me how poorly it loads or ejects, this after I have given them my lecture about what NOT to do as it pertains to using reloaded ammunition. My rough estimate is that about 80% of all feed/eject problems are directly related to reloaded ammunition, 10% are related to a weak/broken carrier dog spring, and the rest an assortment of carrier/stop/follower problems.

Adding to the ammunition woes are that some suppliers of semi-factory loaded rounds sell RNFP cartridges for use in the 14/141, those will work poorly and eventually jam. Buffalo Arms is the only one of the lot that sells RN ammunition specifically for these rifles. RNFP or any version is just fine for the 8/81 but NOT for 14/141. At this point I will give "my" opinion that the Graf brass which I think is made by Jamison used by most of these reloaders is not up to the standards we were getting from Remington. God willing maybe Remington will make another run in the future but let us not hold our breath waiting.

Both the 14 & 141 were designed to use new factory ROUND NOSE ammunition, the feed system is unique, and I might add .... brutal to brass. If you do have some old factory ammunition, use it sparingly, and the best you can hope for is reloading it 3-4 times before the rim is so beat up and/or undersize from cleaning that it's useless.

The best thing for repair shops (and my repair business) is the Hornady .35 Remington Leverevolution cartridge, they work for a bit, then jam, and some even have the tips break off. I have had customers drive 250 miles just to have me clear their action, not a pretty thing to watch. Stay the hell away from anything other than RN ammunition for these rifles, the 14's came with a hang tag that stated "use round nose ammunition only".

I'm not going to try and tell you how to reload but will make the following suggestions:

1) Use Round Nose Bullets only!!!
2) Set your seating die using factory rounds.
3) After three (3) loadings, discard the brass.
4) Always use a factory crimp die.

OACL is critical and the oldest factory loads were the longest, those made in the last runs (1970's) were the shortest in length.

I have the feeling I'm running out of room for this posting but let me say that the early 14's have the most feed/eject problems followed by the later/last 141's. Quality of the 141 started dropping after WWII, maybe the old guys making them retired but be wary of anything over serial 45,000 and run as fast as you can away from anything over serial 65,000.
I may post another "bulletin" on how/why I have that opinion.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Oscarflytyer

Re: Loading Problems Model 14/141 BULLETIN #13

Post by Oscarflytyer »

funny, one you worked and I bought from you works very well! A deer is in its future this year I hope!
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Hey!

Thanks for the endorsement!

It isn't that the later 141's can't be made right, it takes some time, knowledge, and patience. They can be very trying, its mostly the metal to metal fit, and the way they "made" some items fit. Its sort of like the owner was never going to take the rifle apart. When I get in the mood I'll try to put a "bulletin" out about the specifics on the late 141's.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
hoosiershooter

Post by hoosiershooter »

Is the currently available Remington Core-Lokt .35 Rem caliber a good option for a 1927 model 14?
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

As long as it is a RN bullet, set your dies using Remington factory ammo!!!

...................and use a factory crimp die!!!
Jim Peterson